Rant at sheffield homes

Oh yeh forgot to mention that there were no cooking facilities for well over a month - she was living on cup-a-soap and sandwiches - now that is a disgrace!

Yeah they did a friend of our's kitchen around new year and it took about two months from start to finish. Half the time there was nothing much usable there. Good thing he had camping gear.

Really I thought I paid rent, Yippeee That means I am going to get thousands back in rebate.:mad::huh: Of cause its not free we pay rent and it goes up every year Maybe we should go back to the slums again. FREE :rant::loopy::gag:

every one pays rent / mortgage

Me included.

But i'd be thankful that my place was getting a refurb.

Me included.

Well to be honest most people in rented accommodation would expect to get the general fixtures and fittings renovated to current standards every once in a while, and, I guess, they would expect it to be done efficiently, to a plan, and without undue upheval.

Oh yeh forgot to mention that there were no cooking facilities for well over a month - she was living on cup-a-soap and sandwiches - now that is a disgrace!
First day they came and knocked out the cupboards, bathroom plaster etc, then cut through the cooker cable. When asked when they were going to reconnect the cooker I was told in 4 weeks when the new units were fitted and told I could get a camping stove.:loopy: How old people and families with kids coped I have no Idea. But then again we are getting it done free.:loopy:

Me included.

... they're doing it cos some of these places are a disgrace

My dad's flat, and the maisonette I'm currently in.. we have metal window frames that leak when it rains, they let cold draughts through. There are gaps all around the windows. Dad's didn't even have central heating in it until they installed it just before Xmas. Basic bathrooms - high flushing sisterns (or however you spell it), plastic taps, the side of the baths are like a thin wood and mould easily around the edges.

Think we should be entitled to a free re-furb when they can't keep them up to standards! When you rent private - your landlord has responsibility to keep your home safe & to your expectations... council - they don't care. It's a roof over your head end of. They'll put you anywhere, alongside anyone. Just a disgrace. Those of you that slag off the fact that we get a free refurb should try living in some of the places in the cold winter, the metal window frames - then complain

Hang on, your getting you homes redone for FREE.

Ooo this makes me so angry :rant:

No we are not having it done for FREE we are tenants. The city council is our landlord. The houses are being brought up to the decent homes standard!

We pay rent, we are the customer and some of the properties have not had anything done since they were built post war. :rolleyes: its not like the properties are having conservatories and jacuzzi baths fitted. They are having modern safe facilities installed. Which includes a rewire if required. My home wasn't even earthed when it was built!!

It isn't Sheffield Homes or the Council who are the problem it is the Contractors who Kier are employing. My daughter has had all sorts of problems with one gang of cowboys. They have been doing her house since well before Christmas and it isn't finished yet. They come one day then disappear for two or three days. They fitted a new bath and the next thing that happened was my Son-in-Law had a bath and the bathwater came through the ceiling into the lounge area. Why? Because the blasted pipes hadn't been fixed properly. The re-plaster and susequent mess was unreal.

Eventually, she got hold of the Clerk of Works who is responsible for the quality of the work and he had a fit. That load of p*ss artists have now been sacked and she is waiting for the next batch to arrive. :help: :help:

Oh boy I'm really looking forward to next week now.. NOT. I will be making the workmen's lives a misery if they try to pull any of those stunts on me.

Oh boy I'm really looking forward to next week now.. NOT. I will be making the workmen's lives a misery if they try to pull any of those stunts on me.

When the workmen arrive they will more than likely have a Kier representative with them or one will come shortly afterwards. make sure you get phone access to the Clerk of Works. He is the guy who can make decisions and give instructions to the sub-contractors who Kier are employing. Don't be fobbed off. If things begin to go pearshaped get in touch with the Clerk of Works directly and give him a earful. Whistling in his earhole with a corkscrew is the best way of sorting out problems. The Kier Liaison Officer/Representative is there to try and smooth problems out. He/she can't instruct the sub-contractors because it needs someone with building experience. Good Luck.

The Kier Liaison Officer/Representative is there to try and smooth problems out. He/she can't instruct the sub-contractors because it needs someone with building experience. Good Luck.

Our work has been contracted out to Connaught. Fortunately I am part of the tenants association and have been to a couple of the project group meetings therefore I will assume they have been warned :hihi:

I have already flagged up that they are doing a really bad job and that they need to sort it out. That was in November so fingers crossed they will have that at the back of their minds when they get here.

I think you'll find that Connaught are the sub-contractors to Kier who are the main contrator to Sheffield Homes. The Clerk of Works is a Kier employee who is responsible for seeing that the sub-contractors work meets the required standard. With the number of homes being upgraded at any one time the Clerk of Works has to cover a wide area. You need to be able to get hold of him when things start to go wrong.