Claiming goods washed ashore from a wreck

Sort of like the old movie 'Whiskey Galore'!

For some reason I had the idea that this ship was full of chemical waste?

Yeh, when I first heard about it they made it sound like an oil tanker or something, turns out it was the ship's fuel.

Remember the ship full of timber which did similar the other year? Apparently there was that much, erm, salvaged by eager locals & others that the value of timber in the UK dropped significantly for the next few months. :hihi:

Day trip to Devon in a hire van anyone? :thumbsup:

It's interesting to know that people are being threatened withthe law for salvaging what has washed up on the beach, yet I don't see any mention of official effoerts to clean up the detrius.

It's interesting to know that people are being threatened withthe law for salvaging what has washed up on the beach, yet I don't see any mention of official effoerts to clean up the detrius.

They are sending official collection people down from tomorrow to collect what they can and clean up.

same as around here, i heard once , before i moved up here, a ship lost a container just off the coast near skinningrove and all the locals grabbed all they could, it contained clothes, all washed ashore.

its completely legal to salvage.

also at sandsend about 10 years ago i heard rumours that smugglers had sent loads of cannabis ashore to be collected and rastafarians where spotted trying to find some lol

i think that one maybe an urban myth tho

its completely legal to salvage.

i thought that salvage washing up on our coast automatically belonged to the queen or some such nonsense?

i thought that salvage washing up on our coast automatically belonged to the queen or some such nonsense?

It is legal to salvage but only if you declare everything to the Receiver of Wreck. If you don't you face very hefty fines, and if you do the company who owned the wreck is entitled to recover the goods.

I bet many of the people who visit this forum wished they lived in Branscombe were the containers have been washed up from the container ship contaning everything from nappies to bmw motorbikes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6287457.stm

I saw this on the news last night and the first "salvager" the reporter interviewed was a scouser. How's that for stereotyping?

Great place to be at the moment if you want a whole load of freebies. I was listening to a news report on this last night and they interviewed a family who had driven down from Liverpool to salvage the many bags of dog food that had been washed ashore... I normally wouldn't go along with stereotypes, but..... :D

Water damaged nappies :D

I'm gonna check ebay and see if any of this stuff has made its way on there!!