Anyone been to New York?

I hope to be going there later this year too :)

I like my food though, so any more recommendations of good eating are welcome.

The Staten Island ferry from Battery Park (Sth Manhattan) is free and worth it just for photographic purposes. It passes the Statue of Liberty.

Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Parlour on 43rd street, 8th Avenue

Maybe buy the weekly bus ticket. The Lincoln Center is worth a look - west of Central Park. The Guggenheim Museum and St.Pat's Cathedral are part of the scene. I think NY is tremendous although I've never been at this time of the year.

Call me parochial but I cannot see the attraction of visiting New York at all. If you want to spend your holiday in an ugly place full of tower blocks with the constant threat of being mugged or shot, why not spend a weekend in Gleadless?

Get the ferry over to Staten Island, there ain't a great deal over on Staten Island, but it's free to use and you sail past the Statue of Liberty and have some great views of Lower Manhatten/Brooklyn Bridge and surrounding boroughs.

Other than that, I would def recommend a trip up the Empire State Building, but be warned, it can get very busy so you are better going up as soon as it opens or late evening. The views across Manhatten are truly amazing, if you can see past the smog ;)

New York is fab - went for my bday last year and would love to go again. Stayed at the Intercontinental Barclay which was amazing but a little pricey. Have fun when you go xxx xxx

As you can tell, there is sooooooooo much to do in New York! I'd recommend getting the rough guide (pocket version) and packing comfortable shoes!

never been, but would LOVE to go!!!!

everyone - feel free to drop hints to my fiance - he he :)

I stayed at the 30/30 hotel in Lower Manhatten, was fairly decent.

Ooooohhhhh we're staying there when we go in March, Jillybabes you'll have to let us know what you thought when you get back, im getting so excited now, only thing is we're not flying direct as i wanted to, we've got to go washington first, not happy but we'll get there lol

Call me parochial but I cannot see the attraction of visiting New York at all. If you want to spend your holiday in an ugly place full of tower blocks with the constant threat of being mugged or shot, why not spend a weekend in Gleadless?

Ahh.... but this is NEW YORK ! It's not just a block of high rises. City of fashion, financial centre, city of big lights, and a diversed group of people. It is pretty crowded, I'm sure, but that's part of the attraction.

I didn't rate NY very much either as a travelling destination before, but we've (a group of us girlies) had been trying to get there for a while now. Not sure if we will manage to go this year, but we shall see.

Definitely worth going now that the pound is stronger. It'll stretch further, so definitely a better time to go. You'll be able to taste a lot of foreign food in the city. Plus shopping, and amazing sights if you travel up to any of the high rise buildings for free. I think some of them will allow you to do this for free.

Ooooohhhhh we're staying there when we go in March

Its in a great location in Lower Manhattan :)

I'd highly recommend getting a ticket which lets you hop on and hop off the buses which drive round the city. They are tourist buses with guides on them which go round and round all day. They take you to where the main attractions are, they're all open rooved so get up top, they work out more cost effective than getting the underground and more fun.

I've been twice, love the place!