Statue of Tony Blair, where should it stand?

bluecoat

Let me have a suggestion - how about a bronze statue with a brass neck of Mrs Thatcher instead, with one foot on a miner's helmet and a dole queue behind (and underneath) the other foot, with a plaque detailing her record - mass unemployment, crime doubling, repossessions running through the roof, negative equity - and we did have the Falklands War which resulted in the deaths of 260 service personnel - still around 80 more than Iraq and Afghanistan combined, with a pocket calculator in the hand without the handbag as a tribute to the fact that she didn't seem to know which year came 150 years after the Falklands became British in 1833 (Galtieri had promised his people that British rule wouldn't last 150 years on the Falklands - meaning an invasion before 1983), which begs the question "Why wasn't the Argentinian invasion prevented in the first place?" Perhaps with this reminder in every town and city throughout the land, the ungrateful amongst us might show a bit more appreciation of Blair.

Might want to re-assess a little there I think...

To what does this country owe the past 15 years of consecutive growth? I think you will find it was the reforms that happened in the 80s. They were painful and they were not done as they should have been in many ways (there was nowhere near enough help given to those who lost their jobs and way of life), but they stopped the national debt spiralling out of control and paved the way for the growth now that Gordon Brown seems intent on frittering away.

As for the Falklands, surely Blair is in a far worse position compared to Mrs T?

After all, at least two cabinet Ministers immediately offered their resignation for failing to foresee the events. Who has gone from Blair's cabinet for the monumental failure in Iraq?

For another thing... we won in the Falklands... I can't see us winning in Iraq...

First person to lob an egg at a Blair statue wins kudos from me...

Might want to re-assess a little there I think...

To what does this country owe the past 15 years of consecutive growth? I think you will find it was the reforms that happened in the 80s. They were painful and they were not done as they should have been in many ways (there was nowhere near enough help given to those who lost their jobs and way of life), but they stopped the national debt spiralling out of control and paved the way for the growth now that Gordon Brown seems intent on frittering away.

As for the Falklands, surely Blair is in a far worse position compared to Mrs T?

After all, at least two cabinet Ministers immediately offered their resignation for failing to foresee the events. Who has gone from Blair's cabinet for the monumental failure in Iraq?

For another thing... we won in the Falklands... I can't see us winning in Iraq...

First person to lob an egg at a Blair statue wins kudos from me...

Your post proves the validity of Firecracker's suggestion - the history of the Thatcher era is being re-written through rose-tinted glasses that simply do not reflect the real experience of the North of England and Scotland and Wales of Thatcher's government

StarSparkle