Do you mind being called a Pom

There are various etymologies of Pom or Pommie--pomegranate is one, though the source is not the colour of skin but rhyming slang--immigrant to Pommy Grant, rationalised as derived from pomegranate. The Prisoner of His/Her Majesty acronymmay be exploded, because acronyms were not in use then and no such term was ever used in the official papers. We may just have to concede that its true origin is unknown. (Limey, on the other hand, is well attested and there is an Australian folk song that refers to sending the "new chums" i.e. recent immigrants, back to the lime-juice tub)

Possibly, but I think it might have been a 'turn of phrase', rather than a genuinrly published acronym. The fact that an Aussie said it to me gives it more credence (to me anyway) ....... I just wish Ponting hadn't been dropped by Giles!

Nice to see the 'political correctness gone mad' phrase back in use. Names like this are a matter of personal choice - some people get offended, some don't: is it really a case of 'PCGM' or is it just that someone doesn't like being called a Pom?

For instance, some French people joke about being 'Frogs', and in return they call us 'Rosbifs' - in contrast, some will get offended. Just like all the other 'mild' race-related names like Paddy, Mick, Taff, Kraut, etc - serious-minded people will be more likely to get offended, while the jokers will not care.

I think people just like crying 'it's per-litical correctness gawn maaaadd, it is!' when in fact there's a rake of reasons for things.

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting actually.

So it does depend on the context used ?

I have heard of the Pom. It doesn't really grate with me. People say 'You Pommie git' or something like, and I had no idea it's related to "prisoner of her majesty". I guess it'll be lost on me !

Red, I'm not positive but I think Squarehead is German. Septic tank a Yank.

and Abbo a rather nasty term for native Australians -Aboriginals.

None of the above names I've ever used.

Love Aunty M x

Rolf Harris was in the papers the other day apologising for a line in "Tie my kangaroo down sport" that refered to "Abbo's", he said he regretted writing it and now no longer sings the line

'The Hindu'...Online edition of India's National Newspaper

Posted by

(V. Karthik, Bangalore)

"Pommy" is what the Australians call the English. It is considered to be an offensive term. As you probably know the first Englishmen to settle in Australia were convicts who were rotting in English prisons. As the prisons were becoming overcrowded, His Majesty's Government decided to get rid of the unwanted criminals by shipping them off to Australia. When the prisoners were on board the ship, they were made to wear shirts with the letters POHM printed on them. "POHM" stood for "Prisoner of Her Majesty". "POHM" began to be pronounced "pom", the "o" sounding like the "o" in "hot" and "pot".

Well Waltheof, seems the Hindu Times disagrees with you :D

If you dont like being called a Pommie, just call them a Convict.

That is a sure way to cause a ruck.

As with most people who like to dish out insults, Aussies are very poor when they are on the recieving end. (look at their so called cricket team)

I know times have changed since I was out there in the 70's, but the young aussies used to hate us Englishmen, as we could pull their birds from under their noses.

A P&O accent, and a few compliments, and they could not resist.

Aussie Cruising, it was fantastic, and they were great times. :thumbsup: