Do you mind being called a Pom

It wouldn't bother me.

Another origin I've heard about 'Pom' is that it was related to Pomegranates - the fruit - the skin of the Brits new in to Australia turned a bright red and roughened up under the sun - just like the skin of a Pomegranate.

A bit like the way the Americans called us 'Limeys' supposedly because of the lime juice drunk by British sailors to avoid scurvey.

When meeting aussie tourist abroad I introduce myself as Paul, whingeing pom.

Breaks the ice and I've had some great sessions learning about aussie culture.

IE getting smashed out of my head.

Anyway it's true. When arriving at KL international last year you could spot the whingeing poms. They had ties on and were whingeing.

One soft plonker had a military blazer on. Like he was trying to impress the colonials. :hihi:

Squarehead is German. Septic tank a Yank.

and Abbo a rather nasty term for native Australians -Aboriginals.

Froggie/French & Diego/Italian

nanrobbo, these are not terms I use either today, but they were used right up to the 70's to describe ones nationality, I only put them on here to show that the bloke doing all the whinging could have been a lot worse off.

I worked on construction with all these nationalities after arriving here & it was friendly banter in those days & we didn't have any of the problems we have today, Jock, Taffy & Paddy have been around for years,even in the Old Dart people were called Scousers, Brummy, Yorky etc, etc.

The latest news from Oz, An English migrant has finally spat the dummy after 36 years living here, he hates being called a Pom & says it is offensive, it took him long enough to work that one out.

I have lived here also for 36 years & I'm proud of where I came from & don't mind being called a Pom at all, to me this is political correctness gone mad.

Things could be worse, he could have been a Froggie, Square Head or even a sceptic tank, not to mention Abbo, does this kind of name calling humour upset you ?

Looks like it takes 36 years to lose your sense of humour.

Sad really.

What bothers me is I am sat here with bad back pain, bored, I cannot sleep and its raining outside and your in sunny Oz :(

Snap, we even have back pain here, it's universal, one Op down & one to go.

I'm not sure which is worse, the pain or the heat and thunder, it was 30 deg C last night & we had rain too, God I'm a whinging Pom.

When I wos in oz Brits were called 'Whingeing Pommy Barstewards'.

I remember asking a bar-tender why the 'beer' was so cold and he said it was so you couldn't tatste it, - if you could taste it you wouldn't drink it.

He was right too, - I let a glass warn to room temperature once and it was :gag:

:D

The latest news from Oz, An English migrant has finally spat the dummy after 36 years living here, he hates being called a Pom & says it is offensive, it took him long enough to work that one out.

I have lived here also for 36 years & I'm proud of where I came from & don't mind being called a Pom at all, to me this is political correctness gone mad.

Things could be worse, he could have been a Froggie, Square Head or even a sceptic tank, not to mention Abbo, does this kind of name calling humour upset you ?

I don't have the slightest problem with some aussie kanga shagging b******d calling me a pom. How could I possibly take offence at such an innocuous remark. :roll:

Squarehead is German. Septic tank a Yank.

and Abbo a rather nasty term for native Australians -Aboriginals.

Froggie/French & Diego/Italian

nanrobbo, these are not terms I use either today, but they were used right up to the 70's to describe ones nationality, I only put them on here to show that the bloke doing all the whinging could have been a lot worse off.

I worked on construction with all these nationalities after arriving here & it was friendly banter in those days & we didn't have any of the problems we have today, Jock, Taffy & Paddy have been around for years,even in the Old Dart people were called Scousers, Brummy, Yorky etc, etc.

Skippy I didn't think for a minute that you used these terms- but still sticks and stones etc. I've been called worse names than a pommie barsteward sheila-:hihi::o