Do you mind being called a Pom

I have only once been called a pom when in Australia and it was said with such contempt in his voice that I certainly took offence. So I suppose it's the way it's said that matters, said in another way I would have laughed.

hazel.

It's best to laugh Hazel, at least we know our heritage, 200 years ago, Aussies were black so everyone white is a throw back from somewhere.

Hi skippy - i'm coming to terms with the spider incident now...! I just couldn't believe how big it was, it looked like it could eat a small dog (I even had to get husband to take a picture of it so I could prove to everyone back home that I wasn't exaggerating!)

Dads a bit worse for wear this morning! A good time was had by all from what I can gather. Try and get the next reunion in oz - I might have to tag along!

Yeah, thats true I believe.

Still, being called a POM, doesn't offend me, whatever it stands for. (waits in anticipation to what might be suggested)

ash

shame I hate cricket Happy, because I haven't slept properly in 3 nights. I'm actually looking forward to starting my evening shifts tonight!

Well the last two nights/early mornings have been fine for me! I'm hoping the happiness continues!

It didn't bother me being called a Pom when in Australia. It would all depended which expletive preceeded it :rant:

There are various etymologies of Pom or Pommie--pomegranate is one, though the source is not the colour of skin but rhyming slang--immigrant to Pommy Grant, rationalised as derived from pomegranate. The Prisoner of His/Her Majesty acronymmay be exploded, because acronyms were not in use then and no such term was ever used in the official papers. We may just have to concede that its true origin is unknown. (Limey, on the other hand, is well attested and there is an Australian folk song that refers to sending the "new chums" i.e. recent immigrants, back to the lime-juice tub)

Try and get the next reunion in oz - I might have to tag along.

We are planning to be over there in about 18 months to 2 years, hope everyone can hang on that long.

There are various etymologies of Pom or Pommie--pomegranate is one, though the source is not the colour of skin but rhyming slang--immigrant to Pommy Grant, rationalised as derived from pomegranate. The Prisoner of His/Her Majesty acronymmay be exploded, because acronyms were not in use then and no such term was ever used in the official papers. We may just have to concede that its true origin is unknown. (Limey, on the other hand, is well attested and there is an Australian folk song that refers to sending the "new chums" i.e. recent immigrants, back to the lime-juice tub)

Possibly, but I think it might have been a 'turn of phrase', rather than a genuinrly published acronym. The fact that an Aussie said it to me gives it more credence (to me anyway) ....... I just wish Ponting hadn't been dropped by Giles!

Oh come on! POM isnt used offensively really is it?? Its just a bit of friendly banter between two countries who actually get on very well! I dont mind it at all, why should I!

Nice to see the 'political correctness gone mad' phrase back in use. Names like this are a matter of personal choice - some people get offended, some don't: is it really a case of 'PCGM' or is it just that someone doesn't like being called a Pom?

For instance, some French people joke about being 'Frogs', and in return they call us 'Rosbifs' - in contrast, some will get offended. Just like all the other 'mild' race-related names like Paddy, Mick, Taff, Kraut, etc - serious-minded people will be more likely to get offended, while the jokers will not care.

I think people just like crying 'it's per-litical correctness gawn maaaadd, it is!' when in fact there's a rake of reasons for things.

hav been in aus since 1974 and don't mind being called a pom someone surely has to to keep up the reputation of whinging and i do it really well

Could be worse, i met an american who saw that film about the queen, and she kept calling everyone cabbage after that! Would much prefer pom to cabbage any day!

It's interesting actually.

So it does depend on the context used ?

I have heard of the Pom. It doesn't really grate with me. People say 'You Pommie git' or something like, and I had no idea it's related to "prisoner of her majesty". I guess it'll be lost on me !