Anyone know about Longley Hall...?

Hi GB - how are you?

We are not too good on Sheffield geography - but does this mean that the FEARNLEY who is listed as a farmer - with the the address Piper Lane - in the 1833 Trade Directory for Sheffield still lived in the area of Longley Hall.

Ta :)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In plot 290 is Longley Old People Home.

And Longley Farm housing estate ? It's a few years now since I was in the area on foot.

From the bridge there was a pleasant walk alongside the dyke and through the woods all the way down to the Barnsley road entrance of the NGH. I can remember cows grazing in plot 290 :)

Hi GB - how are you?

We are not too good on Sheffield geography - but does this mean that the FEARNLEY who is listed as a farmer - with the the address Piper Lane - in the 1833 Trade Directory for Sheffield still lived in the area of Longley Hall.

Ta :)

I would say so. There was a farm called 'Norwood Farm' on the west side of Piper lane between the end of Norwood road and the end of Longley lane, - it would have been just a few minutes walk from Longley Hall.

At the end of Longley lane at the junction with Piper lane stood a large house called Norwood Grange and on the opposite side of the junction were the cottages known as 'Piper Houses', which i remember as a couple of shops in the mid 70s - ISTR one was a post office cum newsagent.

I would say so. There was a farm called 'Norwood Farm' on the west side of Piper lane between the end of Norwood road and the end of Longley lane, - it would have been just a few minutes walk from Longley Hall.

At the end of Longley lane at the junction with Piper lane stood a large house called Norwood Grange and on the opposite side of the junction were the cottages known as 'Piper Houses', which i remember as a couple of shops - ISTR one was a post office cum newsagent.

If thats the same place, the shops are still there and owned by my cousin.

As far as I know Dulcie, my cousin still runs the newsagents.

Greybeard, I was under the impression that Jabbers was talking about the fire station at the end of the road,which Longley Park is on.(cant remember the name) ?I may be wrong on this. Also I lived on Piper Close, but where is Piper Lane ?

Obviously some confusion about thr fire station. The only one in the area is on Elm Lane, but at the end of Crowder Rd just across the junction from where Longley Hall stood there is an ambulance station that looks similar to a fire station. Could this be what people are thinking of?

According to the caption to this photo..

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=y02135

the shops were used as follows in 1950 -

Nos. 286, J. Pearson, confectioner; 288, Fredrick Mason, grocer & Norwood Sub-Post Office & 290, Keneth Asher Ltd., butcher. These are the Piper Houses on the map.

I assume Piper cottages were demolished when Piper lane was widened into Herries road.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s18726

There's also a charming picture of Piper lane as it was in 1910.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s18725

And Longley Farm housing estate ? It's a few years now since I was in the area on foot.

From the bridge there was a pleasant walk alongside the dyke and through the woods all the way down to the Barnsley road entrance of the NGH. I can remember cows grazing in plot 290 :)

Thats right Greybeard although from the day it was built I have always called it the "Longley Hall Farm Estate" and I don't think I'm on my own in that? People still walk their dogs by the dyke and a pleasant walk it is still, although the enlarged hospital buildings tend to come right up to dyke in places and they have put a high fence along part of it although you can still walk on the Barnsley Road side of the dyke.

To think I used to go jogging in the grounds of the hospital, but you couldn't do that now, and I remember when you could drive in at the Firvale entrance which has been sealed off for a long time.

Obviously some confusion about thr fire station. The only one in the area is on Elm Lane, but at the end of Crowder Rd just across the junction from where Longley Hall stood there is an ambulance station that looks similar to a fire station. Could this be what people are thinking of?

The Longley Hall that Jabbers is interested in was across the road from the ambulance station. I think the fire station was on the site of another old house and this is causing some confusion?