Anyone know about Longley Hall...?

M` lord?

Dont forget the other half of this unholy union, a chambermaid! Im from good pheasant stock, and the fact that my grandfather gave everything away to the strikers proves it. :D

The part about the hall and the shops and steelworks and giving it all away is correct, i know that for a fact, as for the duke thing, im not so sure about that part, and await my bros email for confirmation.

Im going off line now, M`Lord so keep me up to date with things. :thumbsup:

There is the Longley Hall Farm estate which I presume belonged to the Lord of the Manor. It is now a large housing estate, and if Longley Park belonged to the Hall then he would have possessed all the land between the Hall on Elm Lane stretching down to your brothers shop which is just off Herries Road. The Hall on Elm Lane would have been the highest point and as he stood on that nice lawn and looked south he would have been Lord of all he surveyed. What is your surname Jabbers?

There is the Longley Hall Farm estate which I presume belonged to the Lord of the Manor. It is now a large housing estate, but there must have been a lot of land attached to the Hall

From what i heared all of the longley and a lot of the southey area.

Im practically foaming at the mouth to learn more now, and im regretting not paying attention to my parents and siblings when i was a kid.

Longley Hall was on the site of the Longley Hall farm, opposite the junction of Longley Lane and Crowder Rd. There's a 1902 map in the Godfrey Edition maps, Yorkshire sheet 288.16, Sheffield (Longley) that shows it and the rest of the Longley area. I've scanned that bit and put it here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Algy/longleymap.jpg

You can get the map from Waterstones for about £2.10

Thanks for that!

Its getting more interesting with every new post.

Longley Hall was on the site of the Longley Hall farm, opposite the junction of Longley Lane and Crowder Rd. There's a 1902 map in the Godfrey Edition maps, Yorkshire sheet 288.16, Sheffield (Longley) that shows it and the rest of the Longley area. I've scanned that bit and put it here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Algy/longleymap.jpg

You can get the map from Waterstones for about £2.10

I used to live on Barnsley Road overlooking Longley Hall farm and then they built the estate, but from the map it looks as though he owned land on Barnsley Road and a quarry also? It looks as though the quarry is where Firth Park Grammer School used to be?

Im squinting like mad at the map but my sight isnt good enough to make anything out, but i sent the map to my bro and he should be able to see it and interpret it a lot better than i could.

Im assuming that hes out carousing, because he hasnt replied to any of my emails yet.

Ooooh Jabbers!

Stories like this fascinate me, my grandmother's mother's family owned most of Fullwood at one point (the Bancrofts I think) but when my grandmother's mother decided to marry my grandmother's father who was of much lower social status, her family disowned her cutting her out of the will...

Just think we coulda been rich :rolleyes:

Ooooh Jabbers!

Stories like this fascinate me, my grandmother's mother's family owned most of Fullwood at one point (the Bancrofts I think) but when my grandmother's mother decided to marry my grandmother's father who was of much lower social status, her family disowned her cutting her out of the will...

I know, and if this is all accurate Id only be about 60000th in line for the throne! :D

The other half of the family, are aparrantly still loaded.

The pigs.

Ooooh Jabbers!

Ooooh! more "Blue Blood" on the Forum...getting better by the minute, Lady Lotti, sounds good to me !:)

Actually, i vaguely remember a split taking part in my family for the same reason. One of the men... my grandfather i think, married a girl who worked in a pub and was disowned because of it.

Actually, i vaguely remember a split taking part in my family for the same reason. One of the men... my grandfather i think, married a girl who worked in a pub and was disowned because of it.

Not uncommon back in those days, now a days men would love to have their women working behind a bar :hihi: free drinks all around !