Anyone know about Longley Hall...?

Im not sure if there was any inbreeding in my ancestory, but heres a recent pic of me to prove that I have noble blood in my veins.

Im not sure if there was any inbreeding in my ancestory, but heres a recent pic of me to prove that I have noble blood in my veins.

QUICK..wheres that picture of the feet again ???????

From what i can make out there were three places called Longley -----.

Longley House, which stood about where Crowder Avenue, Crowder road and Herries avenue meet.

Longley Farm which stood between Piper close and Longley cresent fronting on Crowder road.

These two were demolished when the council houses along Crowder road were built.

Lonlgey Hall became Longley Hall farm and some of it at least is still standing, - on Longley lane opposite the end of Crowder road. I remember reading that at one time this farm was either owned or managed by the Northern General Hospital as a dairy farm.

Jabbers - if you PM me your email addy I can let you have the map that Grahame put up in a much larger format.

edit: - apologies it was algy who put the map up !

Longley House, which stood about where Crowder Avenue, Crowder road and Herries avenue meet.

Longley Farm which stood between Piper close and Longley cresent fronting on Crowder road.

These two were demolished when the council houses along Crowder road were built.

Lonlgey Hall became Longley Hall farm and some of it at least is still standing, - on Longley lane opposite the end of Crowder road. I remember reading that at one time this farm was either owned or managed by the Northern General Hospital as a dairy farm.

Jabbers - if you PM me your email addy I can let you have the map that Grahame put up in a much larger format.

Thanks for that.

Been off line,watching t.v. and am just catching up on it all again.The map wasnt very clear Jabbers,it looked like the Hall was right at the bottom of the picture,but not sure.I understand someone is sending you a better map.Looks like your relatives owned quite a bit of land.

Well from what i can make out the hall was on the site of the fire station. Its an old map so there arent many reference points or landmarks for me to lock on to but its a damn good old map anyway.

My brother is still out so it looks as if im going to have to wait for a brief history from him.

I do know that my mothers father was on the whaling fleet at humberside, and that was mentioned in the story on the story group with the barrel of poo, but im really getting interested in my fathers side of the family now.

My neice who lives in Northamptonshire has the actual family tree but Im not her favourite bunny rabbit so im not going to be asking her about it.

My bro more than likely knows more about this than she does anyway.

edit: - apologies it was algy who put the map up !

I can remember the dairy farm you mention that was owned by the hospital.I can remember seeing it clearly from the road outside.That was before the houses were built on the land.

There's also an A4 book on the history of Longley that was put together by a local group. It's still around in the libraries. There's an interview with Mr Rigby who was the last farmer at longley Hall Farm. I remember being at the redcaps with his son. As Pattricia said it was owned by the hospital. According to Mr Rigby there used to be a private road from the farm to the hospital for delivering the produce. What price hospital food now?

This should be a link to Old maps

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Should be a 1855ish map on here.

But it doesn't actually name any of the three main properties in Longley :(

And if we're talking here of the fire station on Elm lane - I believe this was built on the site of a property known as Cliffe House.

Just got an email from my brother.

here it is:

Also, great grandad owned most of what became Firth Vickers, grandad went to Cleethorpes to sail the whalers, when great grandad wouldn't give him a job. This is where I under stand, mam was born. The records of Vickers were lost in the war, so we can't find any documents.

Grandad was an engineer by trade.

I assume hes read this thread, he visits the forum as a guest often.

I can remember the dairy farm you mention that was owned by the hospital.I can remember seeing it clearly from the road outside.That was before the houses were built on the land.

There were still cows an the fields there when we moved to the area in the mid 70s but not sure if the NGH had anything to do with the farm then. I also remember a gate at the very top of the hospital grounds that gave access to a little lane that led past some old cottages (I think converted from the farm buildings) and out onto Longley lane.