The state of sheffield clubbing

discodown

Disco -- common misconcepion that all our nights are in-house, this is however incorrect. Planet Zogg / Uprising / Metropolis / Ape / Reflective are all external promotions.
fair enough i stand corrected. since you are one of the few venues i actually use - and i'll be back very soon because you're putting great djs on - and i don't have a bad word to say about you then i hope you continue to deliver and maybe try to find somewhere for some of these homeless promotions.

since i'm asking for stuff! would it be possible to get fatboy slim to sheffield?!:hihi::D:hihi::D:thumbsup:

hmm, its all the councils fault?

yes and no-

The situation at pravda/fez/earl, is not directly linked to the council. but they do have significant responsibility for the state of sheffield nightlife in general and i do think that they undervalue the importance of a diverse and vibrant nightime economy.

prices for public entertainment licenses here are significantly greater than in comparable cities (ever wondered why leeds has more dedicated live music venues?)

the council are particularly keen on following up complaints of noise polloution, yet continue to give planning permission for city centre living appartments in unsuitable locations.

also due to lax planning restrictions, land in the centre is far more profitable as student accomadation than it could ever be with a club (anyone remember the music factory/bed?) (anyone remember the historically important bit, 'mysteriously' and 'accidently' burning down during redevelopment?)

red tape and buereacracy in general continue to stiffle enterprise and discourage new players in the industry.

the issue of one company having a monopoly over billboard advertising is also an important one, that again raises the level of investment required to enter the market.

i believe that there also needs to be more transparency in the decision making process of the council, they need to be more accountable for the decisions they take and there needs to be less mutual scratching of property developers backs!

i think the future's bleak for traditional clubs, especially when the smoking ban is introduced (something we can blame on central government not sheffo council!). late bars are where the action will be at, thats if more planning and license applications are granted.

if licenses are hard to come by, and again compared to other cities i think sheffield lags behind. i think you ll see clubing and nighlife going full circle...

back to the underground, unlicensed venues, winks and nudges, out of the mainstream (which might not be a bad thing). if or when this happens the blame will surely lie with sheffield council.

quality first post by the way. you're talking absolute sense

we try on a regular basis......;) he normally does uni tours thou :(

tufty ---- it that the tufty of grapes fame...?

Saw Fatboy attempt a proper house set at Basics and it was awful, absolute waste of time and effort going there. I don't think it's a bad thing he's keeping to student gigs and festivals, they don't mind how many times they've heard 'Praise you' etc so he can stick to what he knows best.

It's disheartening to learn of Fez and Praavda closing/changing hands. So many nights are in limbo at the moment, and while I don't think it will be as great a loss as when The Arches closed (UG and Razor will easily find new homes), it's hard enough for small nights and promoters to get a break as it is and this just makes things worse.

I was in Manchester over the weekend and was amazed at how many clubs and late bars they have. A look ahead has Chris Clark, Autechre, LFO, Plump DJ's and other big names (and underground too) playing in Manchester on the same day.

It would be nice if Sheffield could support just as many, but it's pretty obvious that it can't, there just aren't enough people. Manc city centre was as heaving on Sunday at 5pm as Meadowhall is on a Saturday afternoon, that's the key difference.

Tuffty you dirty scroat, how's things?

back to the underground, unlicensed venues, winks and nudges, out of the mainstream (which might not be a bad thing). if or when this happens the blame will surely lie with sheffield council

Sounds like my kind of fun.

How much do you get fined these days for putting up boards on division st, west st ect?

I have to say at the mo' the problem is not lack of clubbers but lack of appropriate venues, I've been racking my brain to try and find somewhere to host a night vatering for around a 100 or so people till 2 or 4 am, but there is nothiung out there not already taken.

Unless anyone has any suggestions and can PM me details