Nasty Staffy, again in Hillsborough.

Danielle, I know enough about dogs to help my last two live 15 and 16 years. I also know that often dogs have certain temperaments bred into them, but this is the age old argument about nature versus nurture. I truly believe that with the right sort of training, love and attention, any dog can make a good family pet. Unfortunately certain breeds often attract certain types of owner, who make their dog into a stereotype of their breed. These are the ones we hear about, not the ones like Natzzz owns.

By the way Michelle I know more about dogs than you do about spelling.

My dog is a Staff, he is the most cuddly sweet lil dog you will ever meet....I cant say he would never bite anyone, no owner can, I can say he has never done so and is always a bundle of happiness when people come to see us.

I cant believe the sweeping generalisations that the OP is making,not just about dogs,but about people as well? Why,onearth,Danielle,do you think you are more knowledgeable about dogs,than the other posters,are you a vet? Im not too sure what your gripe even is? The 'nasty staffy'(of which you are clearly an expert) was on a lead, but dared to growl at your(saintly) dogs. OMG-how terrible-maybe i can suggest councelling for you and your dogs,to get over the shock? It sounds to me that the staffy's owner was being incredibly responsible by having said devil dog on the lead in the first place? Either you are a dog lover or not. If you are, then you would not single out one breed and be so hostile towardws them-likewise to make the assumption that all staffy owners are chavs from council estates,makes me think that you really ought to get out there in the real world,and stop being so judgemental :rant:

And relax........ :D

quite remarkable isn't it that the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is bred as a fighting dog yet everyone who owns one says that their dog is a little softie who wouldn't hurt a fly.

No doubt when it attacks an innocent stanger it will be a case of either "oh, he's never done that before" or the victim will be blamed for provoking it.

quite remarkable isn't it that the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is bred as a fighting dog yet everyone who owns one says that their dog is a little softie who wouldn't hurt a fly.

No doubt when it attacks an innocent stanger it will be a case of either "oh, he's never done that before" or the victim will be blamed for provoking it.

The same can be said of any dog,they are all unpredictable.Anyone who thinks different is being ridiculous.Iwould be really interested to see the statistics around dog attacks on humans.I would hazard a guess that the staffy is quite far down the list...

I have two greyhounds and one of them is shy and doesn't like dogs coming up to them and will snap at them and my other greyhound joins in and she thinks she needs protecting. Any dog can be seen to be aggressive with other dogs, but they aren't necessaily doing it because they want to rip the other dog to shreds. They may be frightened because they have been attacked by a dog and dogs protect themselves by snapping.

I wouldn't swap my dogs just because they snap at other dogs. I have them under control, they are on leads at all times because I know how they react.

I cant believe the sweeping generalisations that the OP is making,not just about dogs,but about people as well? Why,onearth,Danielle,do you think you are more knowledgeable about dogs,than the other posters,are you a vet? Im not too sure what your gripe even is? The 'nasty staffy'(of which you are clearly an expert) was on a lead, but dared to growl at your(saintly) dogs. OMG-how terrible-maybe i can suggest councelling for you and your dogs,to get over the shock? It sounds to me that the staffy's owner was being incredibly responsible by having said devil dog on the lead in the first place? Either you are a dog lover or not. If you are, then you would not single out one breed and be so hostile towardws them-likewise to make the assumption that all staffy owners are chavs from council estates,makes me think that you really ought to get out there in the real world,and stop being so judgemental :rant:

And relax........ :D

Well said!

I own a beautiful, cuddly, loving, friendly Staffy! I do not live in a council house nor am I a chav, neither does she wear a brass studded leather harness! You really haven't got a clue what you are talking about, from one or 2 bad experiences with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier you feel the need to pull the whole breed down! My neighbours small boys play in the garden with her, my Mothers Poodle chases her about and I have never seen a hint of agression come from her. Not to say that one day she might not have a snap at someone but that could be said for any dog...even yours love!!!

My dog was attacked by two golden retrievers so any breed can attack. As a consequence she will growl at other dogs. If another dog is foolish enough to come close to her then she may attack them. She does so because she's scared. If there are other dogs around I keep her on a lead and will warn other dog owners in the vicinity that she isn't friendly.

As long as dogs are kept under control then I don't see what the problem is. A dog growling at another dog is not a problem or particularly unusual - by the sound of the OP the dog in question was under control so why the issue?

What I really hate is when an owner who has a friendly dog off lead lets them run up to mine! Reassuringly saying 'it's all right he's friendly' - he may be now but may not be once mine has finished with it! I then end up looking like I have the out of control dog as I practically have to drag my dog away growling!

I have anakita and if it sees a cat wooossshhhh shes gone but if she sees other dogs she not too fussed unless it show aggression to her then all hell breaks loose but she is a good dog and stops when we tell her.

(With appologies to Sir Elton)

"Oh Akita on the other side,

how I want to stroke your lovely fur,

but when you saw my tabby cat,

that poor puss ran stright out of there.

Oh Akita on the other side,

how you bark but that is so alright,

but though your bark is very bad,

it's not half as bad as your bite"