Sign in to follow this  

Phishing warning!

Theres just been an arrest of an internet 'phisher' for those of you who don't know what this is its where people set up fake websites made to look like banks / e-tailors and try and get your credit / debit card / bank details out of you. It may be time for a friendly warning - if you get any email asking for banking details, no matter how official it looks, be very suspicious of it!

So far I have had mail purporting to be from ebay, amazon, Nat West and Barclays all of which have been phishing!

Yup. I had one claiming to be from Paypal this morning. Very sneaky.

The text of the URL was this:

"https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run"

... but of course the actual URL in the anchor was some other site.

As EDN says be very suspicious of any emails linking to websites that ask for security info.

Nomme

I keep getting emails claiming to be from Barclays Bank.... WTF?! I haven't had a Barclays account since I was about 12!

Originally posted by Rich

I keep getting emails claiming to be from Barclays Bank.... WTF?! I haven't had a Barclays account since I was about 12!

Oh those could be legit ;)

You see even though I closed my account with them years ago (after over a decade of inactivity), they still pester me with offers for personal loans :loopy:

I think I got one today.

Should I inform my e-mail provider? I feel violated that they know my e-mail address. Has anyone ever changed their e-mail address to stop these?

I loved the way i would get offers for a mortgage when i had my student account!!!

oh i have had a few paypal ones myself, they are pretty convinsing but if your unsure just go to the website directly and login to your account.

I have never received any e-mail from phishers.. not from my bank or ebay.

Maybe they know Im skint and not worth bothering! -lol

Originally posted by Deavon

I think I got one today.

Should I inform my e-mail provider? I feel violated that they know my e-mail address. Has anyone ever changed their e-mail address to stop these?

i try and use a hotmail account for signing up to stuff online, and only give my isp one out to family and friends then if the spam gets on top i can ditch the spam one and start another

tbh i dont think changing your email would do much really, theyd find your new one eventually and carry on

a lot of the time phishers ?? guess names on popular email domains (such as hotmail, yahoo, gmail etc) ive had some with long to lines with all sorts of combinations of mel and bell in

Originally posted by Abdul

Oh those could be legit ;)

You see even though I closed my account with them years ago (after over a decade of inactivity), they still pester me with offers for personal loans :loopy:

They are very unlikely to be legit....where would they have got the e-mail address. If a bank is going to contact you because you had an account with it in the past, it would write to you.

Originally posted by Deavon

I think I got one today.

If the e-mail appears to be from a bank you have an account with, ring the bank and tell them what is happening. Whatever you do, don't click on anything in the e-mail....just delete it after getting as much detail from it as possible, e.g. originating IP address, the sender's actual e-mail address...stuff like that.

Originally posted by nomme

Yup. I had one claiming to be from Paypal this morning. Very sneaky.

The text of the URL was this:

"https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run"

... but of course the actual URL in the anchor was some other site.

As EDN says be very suspicious of any emails linking to websites that ask for security info.

Nomme

I got the same email last week too!! :rant:

Yep and im one of the victims of such theives! somehow they duplicated my card and started buying online, and by card in shops the cheeky buggars even started to sign for cash back aswell. Im getting all the money refunded but its just a bloody pain in the bum cancelling all direct debits and setting them all back up again:rant: :rant:

Originally posted by Bizzy_Lizzy

Yep and im one of the victims of such theives! somehow they duplicated my card and started buying online, and by card in shops the cheeky buggars even started to sign for cash back aswell. Im getting all the money refunded but its just a bloody pain in the bum cancelling all direct debits and setting them all back up again:rant: :rant:

Sorry to hear that Bizzy_Lizzy, im glad your getting everything back, but it must be a pain!! The Barstuards want their hands chopping off!! :rant: