The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

old rad was exactly the same - did not do a system flush when fitting new rad.

rest of the rads in the house are perfect -

does this mean a system flush or is it just the new rad needs flushing -

old rad was exactly the same - did not do a system flush when fitting new rad.

rest of the rads in the house are perfect -

does this mean a system flush or is it just the new rad needs flushing -

Try balancing system first as is sounds like this is more probable cause if all others are ''perfect''

Hi Folks, I'm having a problem with my Baxi / Potterton Combi 80 Eco boiler.

It's been running well for about the last decade, but has started playing up in the last few months.

It's heating hot water without a problem, but when the central heating kicks in, the pressure rises within a few minutes to between 3 and 4 bar and it starts releasing hot water through the overflow pipe.

I'm grateful for any advice :)

My thanks to Steve (corgigasman) for the prompt repair of my boiler.

The pressure vessel was tested and found to be intact (not bad for a boiler of 10+ years) but the expansion pipe was blocked with debris. The pipe was removed and the debris cleaned out, and the boiler is working correctly again - no sudden increases in pressure when the central heating has been on for 5 minutes!

I've noted your advice on the inhibitor and cleaning fluids and I'll add these to the system.

Thanks also to Jon (JBradleybz) and Adam (a.tweed) for their advice and offers of assistance.

Hi,

I have just had a new radiator fitted but for some reason only the top half gets warm and the bottom half remains cold - i had replaced thinking this would sort it but still the same problem. baffling to me but is it to do with the pipe work ?

any advice much appreciated.

thanks.

is it by any chance pipe in 10mm plastic we are seeing this quite a lot where the pipework is not big enough to carry the radiator !

My thanks to Steve (corgigasman) for the prompt repair of my boiler.

The pressure vessel was tested and found to be intact (not bad for a boiler of 10+ years) but the expansion pipe was blocked with debris. The pipe was removed and the debris cleaned out, and the boiler is working correctly again - no sudden increases in pressure when the central heating has been on for 5 minutes!

I've noted your advice on the inhibitor and cleaning fluids and I'll add these to the system.

Thanks also to Jon (JBradleybz) and Adam (a.tweed) for their advice and offers of assistance.

Glad to have helped, cheers, Steve

Our water boiler is not working, any one can come and have a look tomorrow? i am in S60 1DA

---------- Post added 20-10-2013 at 00:40 ----------

Thanks micky ET, I text about 8 people on this thread This morning only you brother reply,

Turning up at the time agree and charge very reasonable rate and done a excellent job. You will be only person I would use from now on, shame on all others that was too lazy to reply

Edited by confuse

Our water boiler is not working, any one can come and have a look tomorrow? i am in S60 1DA

Thanks micky ET, I text about 8 people on this thread This morning only you brother reply,

Turning up at the time agree and charge very reasonable rate and done a excellent job. You will be only person I would use from now on, shame on all others that was too lazy to reply

It is the weekend, so that comment about being lazy appears on the face of it to be a little harsh. If its urgent I'd phone rather than text/email.

Glad you're sorted now.

Hello,

I’m looking at possibly changing my 24+ year old standard boiler with copper cylinder and water tank for a combi boiler, possibly a Worcester Bosch.

I’ve always been happy with our boiler plus there are around 6 parts to it so if something breaks then its cheap and easy to fix unlike a combi which has a zillion parts to it.

From your own experiences of having a conventional boiler with cylinder and tank or a newer combi condensing boiler could you provide me with a selection of the pro’s and cons for each please.

I am aware that we will require a new tank and copper boiler over the next year due to the age of the existing one along with the wiring. I know the immersion heater hasn't worked for a few years either other than that its a quiet and uncomplicated system.

We are also looking at installing thermostatic controls on each of the radiators and also replacing most of the radiators as well anyway.

I would also be happy to hear from the trade and have your opinions too.

Are combi’s really more efficient than standard boilers? I currently pay £72 a month for dual fuel yet my in laws across the road in the same type of house pay close to £95 a month and they have a combi!

Any responses are greatly appreciated

We have been given a quote for an upgrade already however I wish to see whether we should stick with the type of boiler we have even though we have been informed a rewire will need to be done if we do as the wiring is old for the existing one or whether a combi is worth splashing out on bearing in mind the energy costs nowadays.

With thanks

Hi. Need a service for my mums old vaillant boiler. It's about 20 yrs old I think? Any options?

No problems, Thanks for the recomendation !

---------- Post added 20-10-2013 at 15:36 ----------

Hi. Need a service for my mums old vaillant boiler. It's about 20 yrs old I think? Any options?

Shouldn't be a problem to Service, We may also be able to get a grant for replacement dependant on her circumstances !

Thanks

Mike

looking to change my freestanding british gas boiler for combi boiler , the rads in this house are old prob built with the house in 1960s would i need to change all the rads?