The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Trying to contact Corgigasman as we need a boiler servicing.

My problem is his telephone is disconnected and I have had no reply from pm on forum, as he fitted the boiler and serviced it last year I was hoping he would do the same again.

He may have changed his number or even moved who knows, but it would be good if anyone has an up-to-date number they could send me.

Steve is still around. He is working on a large contract at the moment and the terms prevent him from working on domestic.

jon and micky are both great..

Hello

I need a new boiler and installation. If anyone could recommend someone please do. Or PM me to arrange a visit/quote.

S12. 2 bed semi. Ta.

Hello

I need a new boiler and installation. If anyone could recommend someone please do. Or PM me to arrange a visit/quote.

S12. 2 bed semi. Ta.

Hi happy to quote cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

Is the motor opening the zone valve when the room stat is turned up?

i gave the programmer an overhaul, cleaning and adjusting all the contact points with isopropyl alcohol. no change. then i dismantled and tested the thermostat. still no change. then tried moving the lever on the two port valve over with the heating switched on. this resulted in the pump momentarily trying to start. when i took the motor off the valve i discovered it was open circuit. i got a new synchro motor from screwfix for 12 quid. fitted this and bingo! everything back to normal. result - one very happy wife!

still, she will be even happier when we get a new system installed. we were down for one at the beginning of the year but then discovered that the government funding had been pulled and the scheme scrapped. i have heard there is a new scheme for homeowners where you pay for the system through your energy bills. the idea being that the energy savings on a new system will pay for the cost of it.

anyone had experience of this happening?

i gave the programmer an overhaul, cleaning and adjusting all the contact points with isopropyl alcohol. no change. then i dismantled and tested the thermostat. still no change. then tried moving the lever on the two port valve over with the heating switched on. this resulted in the pump momentarily trying to start. when i took the motor off the valve i discovered it was open circuit. i got a new synchro motor from screwfix for 12 quid. fitted this and bingo! everything back to normal. result - one very happy wife!

still, she will be even happier when we get a new system installed. we were down for one at the beginning of the year but then discovered that the government funding had been pulled and the scheme scrapped. i have heard there is a new scheme for homeowners where you pay for the system through your energy bills. the idea being that the energy savings on a new system will pay for the cost of it.

anyone had experience of this happening?

Are you any low income or disability you may be able to get an eco grant if not you could apply for the green deal check out the green deal orb for more information we are a fully accredited green deal installer of gas condensing boilers and central heating controls. contact me if you need any advice

Mike

Are you any low income or disability you may be able to get an eco grant if not you could apply for the green deal check out the green deal orb for more information we are a fully accredited green deal installer of gas condensing boilers and central heating controls. contact me if you need any advice

Mike

we qualified for the old scheme, i cant remember what it was called. we were borderline on income grounds but dont get benefits, and on health grounds but we are not disabled. the rules are slightly different as we have a mortgage. we would like our old baxi solo swapping for a combi so we can just turn on a tap and get hot water instead of boiling the tank and some of it going cold if not used. i have recently had thoughs of getting a log burner for the house as i understand people with these are saving a fortune on their fuel bills. is there one with a back boiler that can do central heating and produce hot water? and how would this run alongside a combi boiler when the log fire is not needed in the summer? more info please.

I have a combi boiler system and find the rads need bleeding quite frequently.

Should I do this with the system turned on or off? I have read contradictory bits of advice online!

Thanks

Aren't you supposed to do it when the boiler has been off for a little while?

Either way you shouldn't need to regularly bleed the radiators, it might indicate that you have a leak??

Hi do it when off but there may be an issue if your having to do this alot cheers Jon at

JB Heating Services.

Thanks to above posters.

Does the system need to cool before I can do it, or is just turning it off sufficient?

You can do it even just after turning-off the system, but have a handy piece of cloth and a bucket in case there's a sudden eflux.

It is better to bleed your radiators when the system is cold with the boiler turned off. if you do it when the system is warm /hot you will get a false reading because the water is expanded. If you are having to bleed your radiators frequently it is most likely that your system is dirty and corroding from the inside out, what you you are refereeing to as air is most likely hydrogen caused by the corrosion, solutions to this are a chemical flush and inhibit or full machine power flush and inhibit. The corrosion generally gets worse not better.