Deja Vu Another Tony Martin Case.

15 hours ago, GabrielC said:

The question is why does the law protect the intruder? 

Does this mean if someone can break into your home you defend yourself and hurt the intruder it's you that will be facing the music should you stand there and take it instead ?

It's human nature to defend yourself and property I know in certain American States you can legally defend yourself and use a gun provided you can show you were defending yourself. 

The law doesn't protect intruders, the law stops joe public thinking they are free to be judge, jury and executioner without any due process or rationality when something happens.

An armed intruder startling people in the middle of the night in close proximity acting as a genuine threat to life is one thing. Self defence would be warranted.

However, can it really be argued as reasonable or proportionate "self defence" to fatally shoot someone who was trying to break into an outbuilding for petty theft or whose caught  breaking a window to try and steal your laptop.  

The police and courts already have charges and punishments for people doing those sorts of crimes. The punishment is not death so it should be for the police to deal with it. Not public applying their own vengeance.  

Yes, we all know about America's obsession with the right to bear arms and 'protect' themselves, we all see the tragic results of that far too often. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

No sympathy for anyone getting hurt if they break into another person's home.

If someone broke into my home I would grab my baseball bat and give it the missus, tell her to go and investigate whilst I hid in the wardrobe.

....... and if your missus whacked some petty thief running away up the drive with her handbag and killed him - you still think it a reasonable response?

Edited by ECCOnoob

7 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

....... and if your missus whacked some petty thief running away up the drive with her handbag and killed him - you still think it a reasonable response?

Yes .

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Damn right.

Her bloody Coach handbag cost me a few hundred quid, I want my money's worth!!