Kenneth Knotts

Unfortunately "I can't breath" is one of the first things out of alot of criminals mouths when a copper is trying to detain them.  

Usually said in the hope they'd back off and give an opportunity to escape.

1 hour ago, geared said:

Unfortunately "I can't breath" is one of the first things out of alot of criminals mouths when a copper is trying to detain them.  

In this case, the victim was handcuffed to a bed in the prone position (known to be risky) at a hospital, not out on the street looking for an opportunity to run away.

38 minutes ago, altus said:

In this case, the victim was handcuffed to a bed in the prone position (known to be risky) at a hospital, not out on the street looking for an opportunity to run away.

He also shouted "I can't breath" fairly loudly, along with a load of other stuff. 

Restrained at the wrists with a hand on each shoulder, but no-one pressing on his chest.  Head was free to move around too, so it's not like they pressed his face into the mattress or anything.

From the footage, he looks like he had a heart attack rather than suffocated?

26 minutes ago, geared said:

From the footage, he looks like he had a heart attack rather than suffocated?

From the page alchresearch linked to:

An autopsy report from the Dallas County medical examiner lists Knotts' manner of death as homicide. The report noted he had a sudden cardiac arrest associated with physical restraint and the semi-prone position.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2024 at 11:29, geared said:

Escape has to be better for a copper than involuntary manslaughter and risk to career

19 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Escape has to be better for a copper than involuntary manslaughter and risk to career

It's the US, and more so in Texas. Even voluntary manslaughter is rarely a risk to police careers there.

• Like 2