The BBC said it was getting rid of Teletext some time ago as a cost-cutting measure, and then changed their mind when they got a wave of protest from people who use that as an always reaadily available news source.  Don't forget, not everybody has internet access.  Since then ,they have slowly cut away at it, making it's demise a death from a thousand cuts.

Now you look at it for news and find, under each heading, most of the stories have been there weeks.  Even new stories (I thought that's what news was by the way) either finish mid-sentence or make little sense.

The latest issue is the fact that one of my favourites has gone missing completely! 

I tend to use the Football section regularly, and the Gossip Column (with all the transfer rumours) has been missing for the last few days.  I wonder if it's gone forever?

I'd much rather they restored Teletext to its former glory and stop paying huge fees so we see the same so-called celebrities (see other thread on this by the way) keep appearing and picking up huge fees on different programmes.  Surely there are other commedians/presenters willing and available for new quiz shows etc at far less expense so we don't HAVE to have Bradley Walsh and a couple of others on our tele's everytime we switch on? 

Put money back into Teletext!

I guess the number of people using it now is quite small.

Im sorry but they arent going to pump money into a service a handful of people are using. The BBC just switched off Radio 4 on MW this week for the same reason 

There is also an irony you are moaning about lack of internet access on an internet forum you typed this opening post on....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

There is also an irony you are moaning about lack of internet access on an internet forum you typed this opening post on....

I'm not moaning about it - just saying many people do not have internet access so rely heavily on Teletext.  Obviously, as I am posting here, I do have access.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

And people using Teletext on the telly for news.

The same telly that has 24/7 news channels on it.

• Like 1

Just now, Thirsty Relic said:

I'm not moaning about it - just saying many people do not have internet access 

Ofcom's 2023 Technology Tracker estimates that 7% of UK households did not have internet access at home. This is down from around 11% in 2020 and 24% in 2011

There was Ceefax as well!

I remember the good old days when there would be Ceefax & Teletext before the days of 24/7 crap TV

Remember booking holidays off ceefax!!😂

It's amazing how far technology has progressed in such a short space of time. What else do we actually need?

23 hours ago, geared said:

And people using Teletext on the telly for news.

The same telly that has 24/7 news channels on it.

24/7 news channels usually have a half hour cycle for reporting all the topics they are covering (which isn't everything in any case). It's usually much quicker to press the red button and look up the text for the things you're interested in.

On 16/04/2024 at 13:48, Mister M said:

There was Ceefax as well!

I remember the good old days when there would be Ceefax & Teletext before the days of 24/7 crap TV

If you're feeling nostalgic about Ceefax...