Make John Birkhill A Sir Do You Agree?

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Macmillan  are there for end of life help and they helped my Uncle enormously .

I am glad to hear that but I know people who have needed help and not got it. Yet every September millions are raised in coffee mornings.

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

They start end of life treatment as soon as secondary cancers are discovered. James Whale for example has been receiving palliative care since his secondary prostate cancer was discovered. All of the fundraisers, the "Race For Life", the charity shops and sponsored bike rides etc and we still have cases where patients cannot be cured?! I used to support cancer charities and even held a fundraiser for Weston Park but all of the money doesn't seem to be helping anything except the CEOs and numerous management staff get more wealthy. We know how cancer starts, mutations, we know how hereditary cancer develops, faults in the gene pools that cause mutations. We know that immunotherapy, Enhertu and surgery can remove cancer. Often the hospitals remove cancer and fail to do adequate follow up checks, so secondary cancer develops and people are put on to palliative care. It's a great shame and an abomination. I am so sorry to hear about John Burkhill's wife passing away and I respect his kind efforts, with the best of intentions.  But hearing from people I know whose terminal husband required round the clock care and never saw a Macmillan nurse, I feel the wool is being pulled over our eyes. 

The immunotherapy you quoted doesn't "cure" cancer - merely extends life expectancy for a few months,

We all die of summat. Anyone found a cure for old age?

• Like 2

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

You can't die of old age.

The older you get the more chance you'll die - and often of multiple causes eg my mum had heart trouble, dementia and cancer when she died. She was also worn out caring for my dad who had Alzheimers for some years and died a year before she did.

Ain't no silver bullet for cancer or for many of the other diseases / conditions that will see us off in our old age.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Longcol said:

The older you get the more chance you'll die - and often of multiple causes eg my mum had heart trouble, dementia and cancer when she died. She was also worn out caring for my dad who had Alzheimers for some years and died a year before she did.

Ain't no silver bullet for cancer or for many of the other diseases / conditions that will see us off in our old age.

A doctor once told me the opposite in that, if you manage to stay fit & & healthy into your late 80's, early 90's you'll have been exposed to most things & the only thing that's going to get you is old age.  You just pass away in your sleep. 

• 1 month later...

just spoke to him and we have decided to knight him with a  masons sword and with the magic circle words by barney baloney on the 11th day of august at 12noon at the bowshaw showground with johns permission we will do it as hes our champion forget them in the big house in london ,lets hope he does it as well to our peoples champion.

Yes he should get a knighthood…..

I remember Mr Birkhill from years ago 25 years if not longer he’s been campaigning for so long even before he became mainstream….

I have nothing but respect and admiration for this particular character who would be out in all weathers no matter what….

So yes knighthood he deserves one there are many who have received this honour and in my eyes clearly don’t deserve one….

• Like 2

agree with that and thats why we are trying in our own way with the masonic sword and a magic circle person, its not offical but it does have meaning and reminds people, but hes come to our event since 2009 and hes our peoples sir in our areas,but he deserves more.john always remembers two things when hes been to us,one year a very elderly lady had heard he was at our event,she came down with a big sweet jar full of coins and asked one of our stewards could she meet him, well he took the jar and they found him,both were in tears as they met, the other was the year of the hurricane bertha, it rained all day except for 2 hours and despite our team demanding to pay for a taxi the answer was no, a couple of days later they emptied his bucket of cash and water,only to find our cheque in bits,so i posted him another a day later, no hes the best and opening our event this year, he also spends ages looking at our classic car area as he loves the old moggies

2 hours ago, Box11 said:

Yes he should get a knighthood…..

I remember Mr Birkhill from years ago 25 years if not longer he’s been campaigning for so long even before he became mainstream….

I have nothing but respect and admiration for this particular character who would be out in all weathers no matter what….

So yes knighthood he deserves one there are many who have received this honour and in my eyes clearly don’t deserve one….

• Like 1