Sheffield's New FREE Electric City Centre Buses (Sheffield Connect)

49 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Sheffield Connect gets a relaunch

IMG_3784.thumb.jpg.a3c652035d3eed41cfc621548346e07f.jpg

As the old saying goes, ‘You wait for one bus to arrive, then two turn up at once’. Well, Sheffield City Council can do better than that, with four electric buses set to begin service in the city centre free for passengers to use.

From Monday, 8 April, bus users in Sheffield will be able to enjoy their free journey around the city centre in the comfort of a brand new, zero-emission bus.

720x320_article_2.jpg.14cacab1cc226d8b702d7fccb72b10d7.jpg

Sheffield Connect will be a completely free service for people to use seven days a week across the core of the city centre.

Stops will be located within just a few minutes’ walk of the main active areas and the service will link up to existing trams and trains. The service will run every seven to eight minutes – so passengers can turn up and go, making their journeys quicker, cleaner and for free.

IMG_3783.thumb.jpg.a7736d6ef1a7aff9a7d7197f4e2c4a33.jpg

The introduction of Sheffield’s first Zero Emission buses, which South Yorkshire’s Mayor Oliver Coppard is supporting, continues the City Council’s ambition of reducing carbon emissions across the area, helping to clean up the air we breathe and make Sheffield a nicer, cleaner place to live, work and play.

IMG_3785.thumb.jpg.ebd252cbe073e8ca758d26c03a4d94a8.jpg

In addition to the new buses, a brand-new second route for Sheffield Connect is being launched to help people access even more of what the city centre offers. The new route will link The Moor to Castlegate and West Bar and run every 20 minutes.

sheffield-connect-services-2.jpg.f7d3d521a573a5f348983d001eb3cc73.jpg

Was looking at this thinking, where’s the photo of a grinning Miskell , then saw the following post. 😃

due to the amount of electric buses going up in flames

I will be giving them a miss

1 minute ago, MICK BADGER said:

Which ones - a fairly large number of them are in use around the country and I haven't seen any reports ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MICK BADGER said:

I don't recall seeing many reports of them catching fire. Any idea if it was in different parts of the country or in a certain region? I'll hazard a guess there probably hasn't been that many reports of it to be scared of using these new buses though.

Just now, NERVY-OWL said:

I don't recall seeing many reports of them catching fire. Any idea if it was in different parts of the country or in a certain region? I'll hazard a guess there probably hasn't been that many reports of it to be scared of using these new buses though.

Neither do I - and there's a lot of vehicles built on this running gear - worldwide.

58 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

There were 3 in the space of a few weeks in London at turn of the year. one happened just while in a garage

This is footage of one setting alight in paris last year. How long do you think you woull have to get out if the one you were on caught fire

I think I remember the Paris one and maybe one in London. I don't know how long or often they've been running them to know if it's good or bad. There's risk of fire in a combustion engine but wouldn't stop me using my car so I wouldn't be put off using an electric vehicle.

I've never seen one go up in flames to know how long but I guess you'd get enough warning to get out in time

Rather spectacular. I can't help wondering why someone would be videoing a stationary bus at a time when no/very few people seem to be around...and then the bus bursts into flames.   Just saying.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Meltman said:

Rather spectacular. I can't help wondering why someone would be videoing a stationary bus at a time when no/very few people seem to be around...and then the bus bursts into flames.   Just saying.....

Must have been a conspiracy theorist who got lucky :suspect: 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, RollingJ said:

As a point of interest, these buses may be 'free at the point of use', but they still have to be paid for somehow. The drivers still want paying, the electricity company still wants paying, as do the engineers who will maintain them...

Just leave it aside and enjoy the nice things for 5 mins

4 minutes ago, HotPhil said:

Just leave it aside and enjoy the nice things for 5 mins

Yes dear - but I tend to look a little further than the end of my nose.

16 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Which ones - a fairly large number of them are in use around the country and I haven't seen any reports ?

There’s been a couple in South London within a few days of each other not long back  and one caught fire in a depot at Potters Bar, destroying several others in the process maybe 18 months back. Sorry I can’t be specific on dates, it’s me age you know.