Protest In Waitrose, Ecclesall Road

2 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Sheffield Palestine Solidarity Campaign, apparently.  They've decided to take the protest to Waitrose for some reason? 

It must be the JAFFA Cakes. 

These protests have been regularly meeting up just outside The Beer Engine on Cemetery Rd, so Waitrose is about a minute away. 

Oh right you mean similar to this one from early Feb... 

https://www.facebook.com/535920588/videos/1181059989531312/

If it is that.  It looks to me like its a bunch of busybody elderly people causing a nuisance and intimidation to their fellow elderly people. 

1 minute ago, Pyrotequila said:

I thought it might be something Israeli as the only things I could find online about recent protests in Waitrose were about them not wanting people to purchase dates grown in Israel.

In the grand scheme of things it's a pretty pointless thing to protest about 🙄

Agreed, but some people 'protest' about anything these days - they must lead really boring lives.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

So why haven't the police ejected them - Waitrose must have called them, presumably as they had concerns?

Not that simple. 

Because unfortunately the legal right to peaceful protest remains absolute.   Police can only start removing if there are significant concerns on public health or safety or property damage or deliberate intimidation or blocking of people accessing.  There are further rules on whether a protest is causing  prolonged disruption to the public accessing essential services.    Remember that trespass alone isn't a criminal offence and the police will not usually get involved.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Not that simple. 

Because unfortunately the legal right to peaceful protest remains absolute.   Police can only start removing if there are significant concerns on public health or safety or property damage or deliberate intimidation or blocking of people accessing.  There are further rules on whether a protest is causing  prolonged disruption to the public accessing essential services.    Remember that trespass alone isn't a criminal offence and the police will not usually get involved.  

Fair enough - but as the shop is private property, and if the 'protesters' have been asked to leave, and refused, does that not put a different complexion on the situation?

• Like 2

Bet they wouldnt try the same protest at Asda on t'Cross.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

😃

7 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I wish they would though. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Its the same as those egg proterstors the other year, they did it at Sainsburys on Archer Road. Pick a nice middle class location and/or supermarket, because they know if they went to one like Asda on t'Cross they would, and I quote another contributor, get a good leathering.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

I thought it might be something Israeli as the only things I could find online about recent protests in Waitrose were about them not wanting people to purchase dates grown in Israel.

In the grand scheme of things it's a pretty pointless thing to protest about 🙄

Date night ruined!!

• Haha 2

On private property, the owner or their agents can use reasonable force to eject trespassers; but it's a civil matter, and the police could only intervene if there was a breach of the peace (e.g. if the protesters used force to resist being ejected).

If the protesters were stopping people carrying out lawful activities (e.g. blocking the entrance so no one could shop), then that might make it aggravated trespass, which is a  criminal matter and the police could then start arresting people.

5 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Not that simple. 

Sorry, but the legal right to peaceful protest is a fundamental democratic right that matters. You will find out when you too are angry enough with the politicians going their own way and not listening to growing public dissent.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Sorry, but the legal right to peaceful protest is a fundamental democratic right that matters. You will find out when you too are angry enough with the politicians going their own way and not listening to growing public dissent.   

You think irritating shoppers in Waitrose are blocking highways is going to make a big change to that?

Given you know what I do for a living I think Id rather actually seek change through the law and policy and the democratic political system express my feelings to those leading the country.

• Like 1