Trying To Re-Learn The Names Of Some Long-Forgotten Establishments In The City.

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Minerva was a cafe .

Yes you’re right - was the chippy the friary?

43 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

Yes you’re right - was the chippy the friary?

Yes .

I think I remember the pawn shop but can't remember it's name.

On the same theme can anyone remember this shop - what is now Yates/Ask Italian on the corner of Division St/Cambridge St used to be a bit wasteland that was a small car park (on what I assume was the site of previously demolished buildings) if you were facing this car park with your back to Cole Brothers/John Lewis there was a shop next door, used to have stuff hung outside, looked a bit gothy and you went up a couple of steps to get in.

6 minutes ago, Top4719 said:

On the same theme can anyone remember this shop - what is now Yates/Ask Italian on the corner of Division St/Cambridge St used to be a bit wasteland that was a small car park (on what I assume was the site of previously demolished buildings) if you were facing this car park with your back to Cole Brothers/John Lewis there was a shop next door, used to have stuff hung outside, looked a bit gothy and you went up a couple of steps to get in.

Thats got me thinking . 

1 hour ago, Top4719 said:

I think that demolished building was once an auto dealers.

12 hours ago, Top4719 said:

The shop was impulse. At the corner used to be the Albert Pub, (The Cole Brothers building was built on the site of the Albert Hall which burnt down in the 1930s). Just up Division Street was a former car showroom which became a burger restaurant opened by the brothers(?) who had the Chuck Ranch at Hillsborough.

14 hours ago, Top4719 said:

If you're thinking about the one that often had motorcycle jackets outside... wasn't it Pip's, or Pippa's? 

On 12/03/2024 at 04:07, funk_rocker said:

Can anybody help please; been having memories from my youth of places i could no longer retain what the names of them were, in & around Sheffield, some pubs some - some shops etc.

Here goes.

1). I can't find any information online or photos of what i'm trying to locate: one of these situations being I can remember a pawnbroker-type shop that i think was next to a pub, on Pinstone Street at the top of The Moor in town, sort of opposite where Superdrug is. The pawnbroker was there around the same time that Cash Converters shops became big names - around 2002 I'd say and it was there for a few years - the pub near it, or next to it, seemed to be one of these rough-round-the-edges type pubs, often unsavoury characters. It wasn't far from John Lewis and may have been at the bottom of Cambridge Street, closer to Union Street than,say, Henry's Bar.

This pawnbroker in question used to sell a hell of a lot of electrical goods and had a hell of a lot of old musical instruments in it's window - 🪕's, mandolins, 🎸's, 🎹's, ⌨️, etc.  Anybody remember either place's name?

2). When I was an adolescent i remember my ma taking me to a nice bookshop up on West Street, somewhere close to where the David Village Lighting Shop used to be a few years back, and on the same side. Would've been sometime between 1998 and 2001 i think. I believe it was an independent bookstore not a chain - any idea what it was called?..

3). Staying with a West Street theme, in 2007/'08  we had a night out for somebody's 18th and went in this bar/pub at the bottom of West St., close to Holly Street, it was on a corner and was roughly where Slug & Lettuce now is, just down from where the 🐀&🦜pub used to be. What was it's name, anyone?

4). I remember two city-centre fish-and-chip shops from during the 90's: but can't remember the name of either one. The first was on Commercial Street: possibly right next door to Barclays Bank (tallest building on that street and is still standing!!) when it was Barclays. The second was on Pond Street it was under a walkway with some other shops, behind The Roxy's what is now O2 Academy, located where the multi-storey carpark now is: opposite Sheffield Interchange.

Help?

5). And possibly the most difficult of the lot to solve: is:  On a hot summer's evening back in 2014, i did a long walk into the city centre from the direction of Centertainment, either along the River Don Trail or along the canal towpath. I believe it was the latter, as I kept encountering various bridges that you have to walk under with tight spaces between a said bridge and the path/water's edge..Anyway, i recall that when i did - somewhere along the way there was a set of concrete steps (or stone ones.???) on my left, leading straight up to a pub on a corner  next to some trees and bushes tucked away on a backstreet that was obviously on higher ground than my level🎚️. I may have climbed the steps to look, but for some reason i made no attempt to go and enter the pub even thought it seemed nice enough and i could hear jovial voices and some kind of music🎶drifting out from it.

From where ai thought i was, i would say it was somewhere in the vicinity of the Attercliffe area, or Newhall, as 30-40 minutes later i was approaching the city centre via Victoria Quays where the big Holiday Inn Hotel was,at that time.

From memory.

Can anybody help with what pub this was?/and is it still in existence 10 years later?...i've done most of the walk again recently but can't relocate what i saw that night. Can't see a pub anywhere, nor can i see any steps that resemble those steps, in a position that resembles what i saw.

Very strange.

Note: I've already established it's not The North Pole as suggested which i am told was a pub on Bernard Road back in the day that's now a mosque, and very close to the energy recovery incinerator: this is the wrong positioning and location for where i mean.

Another pub somebody suggested it could've been, that ISN'T, was Plumpers.

Now an 🇺🇲 sales centre, Plumpers was a big pub on Sheffield Road years ago which is too far back in the direction of Tinsley Viaduct/Meadowhell for it to be the pub where I'm referring to...the pub i'm talking about was way beyond Carbrook/ Centertainment if you're walking away from where the Porsche car showroom is and walking in the direction towards the city.

Thanks for your time i hope you can help me solve any or all of the above.

1) Big Deal?

Big-Deal-Pinstone-Street.thumb.jpg.3dea300f58c29c0964ecc9fea60bcc7e.jpg

2) Blackwell's?

Blackwells-Book-Shop-Sheffield.jpg.1cbc904576e912e29d0fd8d2f1b3108f.jpg

3) Reflex / Flares?

image.png.0bc1ba58876b928ae9ec59befea2cf7d.png.c2425ae93249461e3f3e2454d7ff6ee1.png

4.1) This one was called 'Big Jims' in about 2008 and later was just 'FISH and CHIPS restaurant. Beforehand I seem to remember it being Tony's, but I can't find trace of it on a quick search so may be memory playing tricks on me.

Big-Jims-Fish-Chips-Sheffield.thumb.jpg.485202297b2515f388af068b094900cc.jpg

4.2) This photo is probably earlier than you're recalling, but I believe the chip was was called The Friary (or at one point Friary One) and was in the same place throughout it's life.

IMG_3048.thumb.PNG.ea0d00af75e2df3d254cdc734fe138e5.PNG.111441c84db1fb619af1096b4be597ba.PNG

5) Has me stumped. Might be able to narrow it down - what side of the river/canal were you on? And you were walking in the direction of the city? Was it a traditional looking pub?

Has anyone suggested that the Pond Street chip shop was called The Friery?  Oh.  I see they have.

On 12/03/2024 at 06:33, Hecate said:

The one on Pond Street was The Friery.

18 hours ago, sammo sparks said:

Chip shop in Pond Street was The Friary. 

17 hours ago, Mkapaka said:

was the chippy the friary?

51 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

but I believe the chip was was called The Friary

b25lY21zOmQzNjRmMTEyLWZmMjAtNGUzNS05NTJl

Haha. Well, I think that one is pretty well cut-and-dried.

31 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

Haha. Well, I think that one is pretty well cut-and-dried.

Looks like some folk think it was staffed by monks though.