Taxing State Pension

Just now, hackey lad said:

Early 40s , I honestly thought you were an old curmudgeon . 

Curmudgeon, good word :thumbsup:

39 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Early 40s , I honestly thought you were an old curmudgeon . 

I have the mind of an 80 year old. 

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I have the mind of an 80 year old. 

😀

14 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well obviously people contracted out will get less, in any case I believe that is no longer a "thing" anyway. I am in my early 40s and have no option to do so, it seems. 

Not that I would. 

I contracted out and I will get the full state pension. We generally work more years than is required, working from 16 to 67 gives me a lot of NI payment years.

People who were advised to contract back in, could have got bad advice.

15 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well obviously people contracted out will get less, in any case I believe that is no longer a "thing" anyway. I am in my early 40s and have no optio

n to do so, it seems. 

Not that I would. 

Obviously not. 

Another example of why everybody should double check their entitlement with someone who knows.

Most people will have had more than one job and periods of benefit(e.g. maternity leave) totalling more than 35 years.  Make sure that the DWP count all the years and part years 'contracted in' first when calculating the entitlement.

It is not the most 'recent' 35 years and a 'qualifying year' is not 52 weeks/12 months of contributions-it can be  less- it can be a mishmash of 'contracted in/out'. 

A recent check by a former  colleagues through their union resulted in a free pie and a pint every week for the rest of their life, as the DWP  had not counted their non pensionable apprenticeship or when 'locked' out by their 'contracted out' employer and 'signed on'*.

The DWP also make mistakes to your benefit-beware,

* Always 'sign on' even when not entitled to any benefit as you get your 'stamp' paid.    . 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Another example of why everybody should double check their entitlement with someone who knows.

I am fully aware of my entitlement, thanks.  And I have no option to contract out as this ended in 2016.

Nor did I say it was the most recent 35 years. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I am fully aware of my entitlement, thanks.  And I have no option to contract out as this ended in 2016.

Nor did I say it was the most recent 35 years. 

You may think you are fully aware of your own entitlement to a State Pension but in reality you have no control over events or Government decisions as any recent pensioner can attest to. As you have shown you are not fully aware of the current entitlement of others-very few are and certainly not me, but I can spot mistakes and I do know how to find out.

At one time millions of people of your age now,thought they were fully aware of their entitlement only to lose tens of thousands of pounds and have their retirement plans thrown in the bin by our own Government. 

3 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

You may think you are fully aware of your own entitlement to a State Pension but in reality you have no control over events or Government decisions as any recent pensioner can attest to. As you have shown you are not fully aware of the current entitlement of others-very few are and certainly not me, but I can spot mistakes and I do know how to find out.

At one time millions of people of your age now,thought they were fully aware of their entitlement only to lose tens of thousands of pounds and have their retirement plans thrown in the bin by our own Government. 

Hence why I have a private pension. Stupid not to if you can afford it. 

20 hours ago, Padders said:

Just got mine Anna.

£248-17. per week. 

Which equates to £12,896 per year.   ( If my sums are right)

I don't understand this, but this is how works..

Basic State Pension  £169-50.

Pre 97 additional state pension  £123-80.

less contracted-out deduction  £79-41.

TOTAL PAYABLE   £44-39.

Post 97 additional state pension £23-33.

Graduated retirement benefit  £10-95.

The amount each week is £248-17.

To be honest I can't make head or tail of it..........

Me neither Padders.

I did get on to DWP about mine at one time to no avail.

It struck me that they didn't understand it either.

I do know that by just missing the new rate by 3 months, I end up over £40,000 out of pocket over 20 years.

Hardly fair is it?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Hence why I have a private pension. Stupid not to if you can afford it. 

Absolutely right!

On 10/03/2024 at 14:18, Padders said:

Just got mine Anna.

£248-17. per week. 

Which equates to £12,896 per year.   ( If my sums are right)

I don't understand this, but this is how works..

Basic State Pension  £169-50.

Pre 97 additional state pension  £123-80.

less contracted-out deduction  £79-41.

TOTAL PAYABLE   £44-39.

Post 97 additional state pension £23-33.

Graduated retirement benefit  £10-95.

The amount each week is £248-17.

To be honest I can't make head or tail of it..........

The point is Padders that it should be far higher than that for all OAP's  just in order to bring it up to the minimum amount specified by the government. All my working life, if I add up the basic working week without overtime I averaged 40 hours so each individual OAP should get a minimum of of 40 hours at minimum wage.  

• Like 1

On 11/03/2024 at 09:18, Annie Bynnol said:

Obviously not. 

Most people will have had more than one job and periods of benefit(e.g. maternity leave) totalling more than 35 years.  Make sure that the DWP count all the years and part years 'contracted in' first when calculating the entitlement.

It is not the most 'recent' 35 years and a 'qualifying year' is not 52 weeks/12 months of contributions-it can be  less- it can be a mishmash of 'contracted in/out'. 

A recent check by a former  colleagues through their union resulted in a free pie and a pint every week for the rest of their life, as the DWP  had not counted their non pensionable apprenticeship or when 'locked' out by their 'contracted out' employer and 'signed on'*.

The DWP also make mistakes to your benefit-beware,

* Always 'sign on' even when not entitled to any benefit as you get your 'stamp' paid.    . 

just out of curiosity who do you think would know enough to help sort it out, when DWP don't seem to know much, and 'make mistakes?' DWP also don't like to admit they make mistakes.