Sheffield City Centre's Bus Gate? (Arundel Gate)

5 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Me neither. Nor do I believe the guff from Irene that it's the Council who "drove out McDonalds" by refusing permission for their alterations. The planning docs say the proposals were withdrawn by the applicant not refused by the council.  

The McDonald's kept going for a very long while after all that and was even occupied by Stone The Crows for a period long after McD's vacated.

If the council were supposedly that desperate to take possession and knock it down, they took a long time to do it.

It needed rennovating to keep operating as a large restaurant and the council wouldn't let them do it. They told McDonald's it was listed and could not be sunstantially altered, yet 11 years later it was demolished. This is what a forum member who worked at that very McDonald's at the time has told us on another thread. I want to say it was Resident but memory can be deceptive.

2 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

It needed rennovating to keep operating as a large restaurant and the council wouldn't let them do it. They told McDonald's it was listed and could not be sunstantially altered, yet 11 years later it was demolished. This is what a forum member who worked at that very McDonald's at the time has told us on another thread. I want to say it was Resident but memory can be deceptive.

I remember this thread

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Why have they made this area buses only ? 

Is doing a quick online search of “Arundel Gate Bus Gate” beyond your capabilities?

If you did, you’d find this article.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Is doing a quick online search of “Arundel Gate Bus Gate” beyond your capabilities?

If you did, you’d find this article.

You’re on a forum where people discuss things . People ask and answer questions . No need to get uppity. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Me neither. Nor do I believe the guff from Irene that it's the Council who "drove out McDonalds" by refusing permission for their alterations. The planning docs say the proposals were withdrawn by the applicant not refused by the council.  

The McDonald's kept going for a very long while after all that and was even occupied by Stone The Crows for a period long after McD's vacated.

If the council were supposedly that desperate to take possession and knock it down, they took a long time to do it.

Yes, the company withdrew, after being told the application would be denied due to the building being of "special interest, warranting preservation", which is the description of a Grade 2 listing. 

Essentially the council didn't want the facsia updating nor did they want the internal structure altering to accomodate the newer equipment (air-con & extraction systems).

McDonalds were there for a while afterwards but this was down to the costs of breaking the lease to leave earlier. The time was also used to reduce the number of staff by slowing transitioning them to other stores nearby. 

5 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

It was me a few weeks ago but you're misremembering what was said, which is strange as you often post with  adamancy things that would have happened when you were allegedly a toddler. 

For accuracy, I worked for the company not the store. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Resident said:

Yes, the company withdrew, after being told the application would be denied due to the building being of "special interest, warranting preservation", which is the description of a Grade 2 listing. 

Essentially the council didn't want the facsia updating nor did they want the internal structure altering to accomodate the newer equipment (air-con & extraction systems).

McDonalds were there for a while afterwards but this was down to the costs of breaking the lease to leave earlier. The time was also used to reduce the number of staff by slowing transitioning them to other stores nearby. 

Thanks for clarifying.   That probably explains the further applications years after for change of classification and use of the entire top three buildings

Either way not exactly "driven out by the council" as boldly stated earlier by our resident child genius.  

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Thanks for clarifying.   That probably explains the further applications years after for change of classification and use of the entire top three buildings

Either way not exactly "driven out by the council" as boldly stated earlier by our resident child genius.  

Look back at post 127. Apparently visitors will be put off coming to Sheffield due to the closure of McDonalds. I was coming to visit in a couple of weeks. Don’t know what I’ll do for haute cuisine now. Is The Minerva near Presto overlooking Flat Street still open?

• Haha 2

What's Presto? And where was the Minerva? - a search provides no results. 😄

9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

What's Presto? And where was the Minerva? - a search provides no results. 😄

That one’s backfired on me hasn’t it.
O.K. Walking from Fitzalan Square toward Pond St when Flat St drops down on the right hand side there used to be a walkway on the level with a parade of shops. I recall a wallpaper/decorating supplies,  The Friary chip shop , The Minerva cafe and others. At the end used to be a Presto supermarket  underneath the Top Rank and over the top of the petrol station, with a walkway across the road leading to escalators taking you down onto platforms A and B of the bus station.

• Like 4

Didn't really backfire - it was an area I didn't frequent much, although I used to use Presto when I lived on Park Hill - just didn't really take much notice of other shops in the area.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Didn't really backfire - it was an area I didn't frequent much, although I used to use Presto when I lived on Park Hill - just didn't really take much notice of other shops in the area.

Thanks. The Minerva was very much your pie, chips and tinned peas kind of place. I believe they also did those tinned hamburgers. It was convenient on the buses if your meal break started and finished in Pond Street. Easier than schlepping round to Castlegate canteen.

• Like 2

The structure of the buildings where The Minerva was is still there, it's just been hollowed out and caged for the car park. It could easily be opened as a parade of shops/cafes one day.

• Like 1