Should We Bring Back The Death Penalty?

Should we bring back the death penalty?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should we bring back the death penalty?

• Yes
    • No

If there was a referendum on bringing back the Death penalty, how would you vote?

24 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

If there was a referendum on bringing back the Death penalty, how would you vote?

Against.  I bet that's surprised a few? 

I thought we'd discussed this previously.

3 minutes ago, cressida said:

We certainly have. 

I think we need to get tough and have a massive clampdown on crime and disorder, but I don't agree with the death penalty. Would you really trust the government and judicial system in this country to get it right? I wouldn't.

• Thanks 1

Definetly not

Mistakes have been made in the past with verdicts

I have a pal in prison convicted for a murder he didn't commit.

He could have been hung !

I thought this issue was dead in the water!

I don’t agree with capital punishment but I do think that a life sentence should mean life and that prisoners should be made to work for a remuneration, most of which should be paid to the victims of their crime or their relatives if the victim has died.

In many cases the perpetrators appear to be let off very lightly. There needs to be a deterrent.

echo.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cressida said:

We have but according to Axe we need a referendum so I thought I'd take a snap shot of public feeling. 

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

We have but according to Axe we need a referendum so I thought I'd take a snap shot of public feeling. 

ok,  I'm against it,  it would be in cold blood and we shouldn't lower ourselves to their level.

They should be used to build more prisons,  learning proper skills under supervision,  maybe a few at a time for security reasons.

In cases of murder and especially child murder it should be life must mean life.  imo of course.

We most definitely need a deterrent to stop all of the knife crime etc that is currently rife in the uk.BUT.......we also need judges and juries who have the balls required to administer punishment that reflects the crime,not the current crop of tree huggers!!!!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dsweetman said:

We most definitely need a deterrent to stop all of the knife crime etc that is currently rife in the uk.BUT......

.we also need judges and juries who have the balls required to administer punishment that reflects the crime,not the current crop of tree huggers!!!!

That's correct but the government keep issuing instructions in the opposite direction as the prisons are full,  so they don't want more people jailed and they would prefer that sentences are not longer.

It never occurs to them that the baddies don't seem afraid of going to jail,  so they need to figure out  WHY,   and  change that so that they are very much afraid.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

It never occurs to them that the baddies don't seem afraid of going to jail,  so they need to figure out  WHY,   and  change that so that they are very much afraid.

Tell 'em they'll get  three years sharing a cell with with a Gammon with an IQ of 85, a black and white TV, and just two meals a day. That should deter budding crims.

• Like 2