Chapel Walk Regeneration

spacer.png

Chapel Walk has a proud history as one of the city centre’s most-loved shopping streets and back in July, it was announced that £1.24 million would be awarded to local businesses to help further transform the street into a vibrant city centre destination. 

Two organisations will receive grants to improve shop fronts and increase accessibility to the upper floors of property on Chapel Walk whilst small or new businesses will be able to apply for funding to move into empty shop units. Funding for new public artworks will brighten up Chapel Walk for visitors.

The funding comes from the Fargate Front Door Scheme, a £4.015million investment in shop fronts, access, and environmental improvements to make the area more attractive and fill empty shops. It forms part of the Future High Streets Fund plan to regenerate Fargate and surrounding streets.

The scheme has already funded improvements to 33-35 Fargate, Orchard Square, The Montgomery Theatre and small businesses through ReNew Sheffield. The latest round of funding will focus on Chapel Walk and make the area more appealing and accessible to visitors, increasing footfall and supporting businesses.

The Sheffield Church Burgesses Trust will receive £250,000 to improve its shop fronts and support works to improve access inside the building to create new workspace in the empty upper floor. Whilst the Foundry Sheffield will receive £650,000 to improve its shop fronts, improve ground floor access and reconfigure upper floors at Victoria Hall.

£90,000 will be made available to help small and new businesses with fit out costs if they’re moving into a vacant property. Another £250,000 will be used to install public art to make Chapel Walk a pleasant and interesting place to visit.

• Like 3

I understand some of this funding will also spruce up part of Black Swan Walk with new bespoke gates and lighting too.

That's excelleny news! Just what it needs.

Been saying it for ages.

Let's hope we get a really interesting mix of independent traders for Chapelwalk.

• Like 1

Chapel Walk is full of character. I’ve taken American friends through it and they loved it.

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

Chapel Walk is full of character. I’ve taken American friends through it and they loved it.

Its not even a click long lol

i know Sheffield better than anyone, there’s a better walk but its only for the people in the circle ️ 

Yeah this is welcome, it should be somewhere that entices passing people into it but it really doesn't do that right now. I'm glad Bird's Yard and Feast have managed to keep going, both are good.

It seems to be a prerequisite that news of any development has to have the word 'vibrant' in it these days.

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Yeah this is welcome, it should be somewhere that entices passing people into it but it really doesn't do that right now. I'm glad Bird's Yard and Feast have managed to keep going, both are good.

And the little shop that does alterations. 

so what's down Black Swan Walk?  I thought that alley was just for access to the bins/shop rear entrances?

1 minute ago, Andy_terrier said:

so what's down Black Swan Walk?  I thought that alley was just for access to the bins/shop rear entrances?

Not a lot, hence why I think they want to gate it off.

I suspect there might have been a few issues with some less fortunate people down there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Baron99 said:

And the little shop that does alterations. 

I didn't know about that, mostly because there are two tailors on Spital Hill that do alterations very cheap, I go to the one run by the nice Kurdish guy. Is the one on Chapel Walk reasonably priced?

5 hours ago, Delbow said:

I didn't know about that, mostly because there are two tailors on Spital Hill that do alterations very cheap, I go to the one run by the nice Kurdish guy. Is the one on Chapel Walk reasonably priced?

Yes, Stich Express.  Just at the back entrance to M&S, (now closed off for some reason?  Probably shoplifting?). 

Had some jeans altered a month back, £10 which I'd say is reasonable.  They've been on Chapel Walk for years.  Always seem to be busy but depending what you want doing, it could be ready the same day.