Council Flats Door Entry System

Yesterday (Wed 17th Jan), my wife (who is disabled) and I were visiting a relative who lives in a council flat. The flat is in a small (6 flat) block that has an electronic door entry system to the main communal entrance..

Upon attempting to leave the property, the lock was inoperative meaning we were trapped inside. We immediately called the repair dept and were informed that it could take up to four hours. We waited the four hours before calling again to the 'out of hours' number. 

When the team finally arrived (we had been trapped in the property for over 5 hours), the chaps did not know how to resolve the problem and eventually had to crow-bar the door open. God only knows what would have happened if there had been a medical emergency or worse.

Last night, I thought it may be useful to leave a message on the council 'feedback' page on the website. I left a message similar to the above, only to be informed that my comment would be included in the review of 2022 !

All in all, what kind of a bunch of amateurs are running this outfit?
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, handypandy said:
Yesterday (Wed 17th Jan), my wife (who is disabled) and I were visiting a relative who lives in a council flat. The flat is in a small (6 flat) block that has an electronic door entry system to the main communal entrance..

Upon attempting to leave the property, the lock was inoperative meaning we were trapped inside. We immediately called the repair dept and were informed that it could take up to four hours. We waited the four hours before calling again to the 'out of hours' number. 

When the team finally arrived (we had been trapped in the property for over 5 hours), the chaps did not know how to resolve the problem and eventually had to crow-bar the door open. God only knows what would have happened if there had been a medical emergency or worse.

Last night, I thought it may be useful to leave a message on the council 'feedback' page on the website. I left a message similar to the above, only to be informed that my comment would be included in the review of 2022 !

All in all, what kind of a bunch of amateurs are running this outfit?

IMO you should have dialled 999 informing them of the possibility of an emergency due to the none operation of the door.

• Like 2

If it's anything like our block, we have un-alarmed fire exits that you can use to exit if the door has gone haywire.

That’s shocking. You were very patient. I think I’d have called 111 or even the fire brigade and explained. No functioning fire exit is a potential death trap. Post-Grenfell the council needs to be all over this sort of issue pronto. 

• Like 2

I did give the dept an ultimatum on the second call that I would call the fire brigade should no one turn up within the hour.  

No, there is no fire escape door, this is the only door.

It does sound dangerous, or could be.

I was just thinking about our apartments (flats with a posh name) They are 2 high with a sub floor with bin store and mobility scooter charge/store.

We have the main door with a 'buzz in' and key lock (no key needed from the inside)

A rear door, no key from inside needed

Bin/Scooter store doors on an internal turn lock, key on the outside (We could use if the others failed or were blocked)

Lastly it has some type of motorised fire windows on the hallways. I'm told, if the fire alarm goes off, the windows open automatically.

I'm not saying all flats should have this many options. I would have thought, at least two exits are a minimum. My last place, which was Council owned was the same as the OP's relation. One door, no other exit apart from a leap of faith to the ground! I live/lived on the upper floor in both.

I don't know what the laws or building regs are concerning this, but common sense suggests more than one exit/escape route. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, handypandy said:

No, there is no fire escape door, this is the only door.

That sounds extremely dodgy! 😮

Yea, someone's not done a proper risk assessment on that one, or used an extremely lax set of regulations to get it through.

i would of rang the police/fire people and said we are stuck in this block and need help ,those firemen dont give a dam they just get doors open,then the council get a bigger bill,but again they dont give a dam

I wonder which planning department and building inspector hasn't done their job right in the council owned flats,? There's no prize for guessing!

9 minutes ago, Meltman said:

I wonder which planning department and building inspector hasn't done their job right in the council owned flats,? There's no prize for guessing!

Having had plenty of interaction with the council during my working life, prior to retirement, I can tell you that there is a rule for them and a shedload for everyone else.

Apparently the door was fixed today, which is good.

• Like 1

You were a lot more patient than I would have been. Knowing SCC Housing Repairs service, I'm surprised they didn't just shove a 'we called, you weren't in' card through and sprint off. They are a shambles.