Shiny Sheff Closing

Heard the pub has been bought by developers and will be closing for good early next month.

Anyone know any more ?

I’m not surprised-shame I suppose but it’s been dead for years.

use it or lose it as they say.

Just like with many other pubs which are flattened all over the country, it’s nothing to do with whether the pub is any good, whether it’s popular or not, or whether it’s important for the community.

All that matters is profit for developers. 

No more ship & no more pub then.  Only been in a couple of times myself. 

Clearly one of those pubs that the big chains invested in but now don't make enough on the balance sheet so the land it stands on is worth more. 

Edited by Baron99

It's a great shame. It was a nice pub generally, and the views over the Mayfield Valley were great from there. Not many 'local' pubs left now, sadly. 

8 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's a great shame. It was a nice pub generally, and the views over the Mayfield Valley were great from there. Not many 'local' pubs left now, sadly. 

Shiny Sheff overlooks the golf course and Rivelin valley.

Mayfield valley is the other way.

• Like 4

Always surprised me how many delinquents were in there for a well to do area.

As a previous frequenter of the Sheff, I can confirm that the place went massively downhill when they ditched the staff cravats. A dark and worrying day for us all.

Soon after that they went “cash only”, in a thinly disguised nod to the halcyon days of 1990s Fargate, but then cleverly opened their urinal conveniences up to the general public, in the hope of replicating the singular roaring success of the formative early-days of Orchard Square.

But, sadly & ultimately, they brought about their own self-inflicted demise when they foolishly started dumping their rubbish on nearby lanes following their Daily Mail sponsored campaign to “not do” recycling. The rampant communist  mag “The Sixer” picked up on the story, quickly followed by the Murdoch/Maxwell funded Twikker…..and thus, soon after, the Sheff was no more.

Edited by PapaLazarou
  • Haha 6

So the Shiney Sheff has hit the rocks again and may not recover from this fatal blow of being hit below the waterline?

Yes it was a ship full of very colourful characters in its day ... RIP Shiney Sheff 😞😐

1 hour ago, PapaLazarou said:

As a previous frequenter of the Sheff, I can confirm that the place went massively downhill when they ditched the staff cravats. A dark and worrying day for us all.

Soon after that they went “cash only”, in a thinly disguised nod to the halcyon days of 1990s Fargate, but then cleverly opened their urinal conveniences up to the general public, in the hope of replicating the singular roaring success of the formative early-days of Orchard Square.

But, sadly & ultimately, they brought about their own self-inflicted demise when they foolishly started dumping their rubbish on nearby lanes following their Daily Mail sponsored campaign to “not do” recycling. The rampant communist  mag “The Sixer” picked up on the story, quickly followed by the Murdoch/Maxwell funded Twikker…..and thus, soon after, the Sheff was no more.

Is that true ?

13 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Is that true ?

Ask Irene

9 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

Always surprised me how many delinquents were in there for a well to do area.

They don't live around there. The Crosspool Tavern is the same. Gets a lot of people there from Hillsborough/Stannington. 

• Confused 2