World Birthrate

4 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Palestine?

No.

What do you think of Republican states in the USA trying to track women's menstrual cycles to see if they might have had an abortion?

Edited by altus
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, altus said:

No.

What do you think of Republican states in the USA trying to track women's menstrual cycles to see if they might have had an abortion?

The first thing about America is if you don't like your state laws then you can move to one that suits your lifestyle

It's why I live in Florida 👍

7 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

The first thing about America is if you don't like your state laws then you can move to one that suits your lifestyle

It's why you dream about Florida and that's the nearest you'll get.

37 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

You do realise that Florida has recently passed legislation to outlaw abortion after 6 weeks (by which time many women don't even realise they are pregnant).

41 minutes ago, altus said:

You do realise that Florida has recently passed legislation to outlaw abortion after 6 weeks (by which time many women don't even realise they are pregnant).

I always pull out 

There's been a further significant drop in the birth rate in England and Wales and it is now the lowest on record. 

Again, I think this is a good thing overall, despite the likelihood that it will negatively impact on me in my older years. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few Delbows.

Edited by Delbow

3 hours ago, Delbow said:

There's been a further significant drop in the birth rate in England and Wales and it is now the lowest on record. 

Again, I think this is a good thing overall, despite the likelihood that it will negatively impact on me in my older years. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few Delbows.

I guess you're not a Miriam Cates fan then. 😏
We looked at houses in Penistone, but managed to avoid her constituency;  ended up in Buxton, with Robert Largan as MP instead 😖

Low birthrate is UK’s top priority, Tory MP tells rightwing conference

Cultural Marxism’ and excessive education among factors causing existential threat, says Miriam Cates

A Conservative MP has claimed the UK’s low birthrate is the most pressing policy issue of the generation and is caused in part by “cultural Marxism” stripping young people of any hope, at the start of a populist-tinged conference in London.

Addressing the National Conservatism gathering, run by a US-based thinktank, Miriam Cates said western countries faced an existential threat from falling reproduction, arguing that a lack of family-friendly tax policy in the UK played a significant role, as well as a shortage of housing.

But Cates, seen as a rising star in a new generation of culture-war keen Tory MPs, also blamed too many young people attending university, the devaluing of motherhood, and what she described as the mass indoctrination of young minds.

16 minutes ago, peak4 said:

We looked at houses in Penistone, but managed to avoid her constituency;  ended up in Buxton, with Robert Largan as MP instead 😖

Cultural Marxism’ and excessive education among factors causing existential threat, says Miriam Cates

A Conservative MP has claimed the UK’s low birthrate is the most pressing policy issue of the generation and is caused in part by “cultural Marxism” stripping young people of any hope, at the start of a populist-tinged conference in London.

Addressing the National Conservatism gathering, run by a US-based thinktank, Miriam Cates said western countries faced an existential threat from falling reproduction, arguing that a lack of family-friendly tax policy in the UK played a significant role, as well as a shortage of housing.

But Cates, seen as a rising star in a new generation of culture-war keen Tory MPs, also blamed too many young people attending university, the devaluing of motherhood, and what she described as the mass indoctrination of young minds.

Christ alive. ' Too much education'. That says a lot, doesn't it? Basically, the Human Labour Units are getting ideas above their stations and forgetting that their roles in life are to work to generate profit for others and reproduce more Human Labour Units to take their place when they can't work anymore and have to be thrown in a bin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Christ alive. ' Too much education'. That says a lot, doesn't it? Basically, the Human Labour Units are getting ideas above their stations and forgetting that their roles in life are to work to generate profit for others and reproduce more Human Labour Units to take their place when they can't work anymore and have to be thrown in a bin.

It's more like, 'If we teach people to think for themselves they won't be so easily manipulated and won't vote for us."

2 hours ago, peak4 said:

And remind me again which party capped child benefit to the first 2 children?

Edited by melthebell
  • Like 1

South Korea's fertility rate has fallen again https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/28/south-korea-fertility-rate-2023-fall-record-low-incentives despite significant financial incentives from the government to have children. Their population is forecast to halve by 2100. Reasons for South Koreans not having children include skyrocketing child-rearing costs and property prices and a lack of well-paid jobs - sound familiar? Gotta keep those house prices up for the boomers though eh? 

If replicated in the UK, that would mean a population of about 30 million by 2100. 

Similar news about Japan as well. I was really struck by the bit that says "The next six years or so until 2030, when the number of young people will rapidly decline, will be the last chance to reverse the trend." It will be really interesting to see what happens - the reasons for the low birth rate are similar to those in South Korea and many other countries - workers are not getting enough of the wealth they help create, job insecurity, and the marketization of housing and childcare, which pushes costs up. Given that these are all things that capitalism really wants, it'll be fascinating to see whether the ruling class is willing to concede enough to entice people to have children, or whether corporate greed will mean kissing goodbye to the next generations of workers. 

• Like 1