Cycling Accident

I was knocked off my bike on Sunday.

The driver apologised many times and accepted responsibility.

What now?  I want to claim for the damage caused to my bike and clothing and a bit of compensation for my pain and discomfort, the speed of collision was about 20+mph.

Does anyone know of a local , or national, company who will pursue this for me? OR is it possible to D.I.Y. ?

Are you insured?

If not, I imagine you would need to employ a solicitor.

• Like 1

As above do you have insurance as a road user ? Ive seen  3 bikes hit a car or pedestrian in recent years and wondered how’s that going to work out then ?

1 hour ago, Flanker7 said:

What now?  I want to claim for the damage caused to my bike and clothing and a bit of compensation for my pain and discomfort, the speed of collision was about 20+mph.

Does anyone know of a local , or national, company who will pursue this for me? OR is it possible to D.I.Y. ?

I assume you took his insurance details, have witnesses and/or camera footage?

If not then you're up the creek, especially if there's no evidence. It's your word against his and no insurance firm will pay out on your word. 

I also assumed you reported the collision to the police within 24hrs as required under S170 RTA 1988. 

Edited by Resident

Doesn't sound like you have insurance already so your going to have to instruct a solicitor with costs until you win.
As previously stated it is best if you report the accident which you can still do and fill in the blanks.

Its not going to happen quickly as courts are years behind.

If you are not already a member British Cycling has good legal support and would recommend all commuters and enthusiasts to join as members.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/legalsupport

• Like 1

If you are going to use the roads without insurance to cover any damage you may cause, why would you expect someone else to pay you.

Insurance-paying road users don't need uninsured road users pushing up the premiums. 

Thank you for your responses............in most cases. The following occurs to me.

1. Some solicitors will take on the case on a no win , no fee basis. I was enquiring if anyone knew a local one.

2. The obligation to report an RTA falls upon the driver of a mechanically propelled vehicle. IF personal injury is caused. and IF the driver does not produce a certificate of insurance. I wish posters would know what they are talking about when they quote Act and Section, I did!

3. Yes, I did get his insurance details.

4. The witnesses made themselves scarce when they realised I didn't need medical assistance.

5. It's not my word against his.

6. I expect him (or his insurance) to pay me as he admitted the accident was his fault. 

7. I have photographic evidence.

8. The driver has not reported the accident to the Police and thinks he may get 'done' for dangerous driving.

9. In retrospect insurance with 'British Cycling' is a good idea.

The rough description of the accident is:-  The driver was waiting in a 100 yard long line of stationary vehicles at temporary 3 way traffic lights. He was by a left turn and decided to nip down the road to miss the queue. He turned left without looking, which was where I was passing vehicles on the near side. I had no time to react and a collision occurred. IMO Its 'driving without due care and attention' although there is a case for 'Dangerous driving' as he knew there was a risk and took that risk.

There are loads of Solicitors offering 'No win No, fee deals' and it reasonable that they take their cut but I am seeking an informed personal reference.

Thank you

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flanker7 said:

My bold

Why?

You weren't injured were you?

20 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

Why?

You weren't injured were you?

The poster hasn't said s/he wasn't injured,  just that "I didn't need medical assistance". They are not the same thing.

2 hours ago, Beamish said:

If you are going to use the roads without insurance to cover any damage you may cause, why would you expect someone else to pay you.

Insurance-paying road users don't need uninsured road users pushing up the premiums. 

What a flippant and irrelevant remark. Firstly, he didn't cause the damage, some idiot in a car knocked him off his bike and caused it. Secondly, there is no legal obligation for cyclists to have insurance.

OP, I sincerely hope you got his registration and reported it to the police. Did you notice any surveillance cameras in the area? These may hold crucial evidence. I don't know which law firms would be able to help with your lawsuit but Citizens' Advice should be able to provide you with a suitable list of firms.