Life After 60 And Living Alone, What Is Your Key To Staying Content

9 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I wasn't interested in going all the way back as some people do.

I wanted to know about the lives of my relatives, their homes, work etc.

I found it very interesting. 

When I watched 'Who do you think you are?'  the researcher only seems to tell d.o.b. when the person died,  who he married,  children etc.  sometimes if he went abroad -  is that what you mean?   

20 minutes ago, cressida said:

When I watched 'Who do you think you are?'  the researcher only seems to tell d.o.b. when the person died,  who he married,  children etc.  sometimes if he went abroad -  is that what you mean?   

I found out the basics but then visited the areas they lived and viewed their homes and workplaces etc.

Researched their military histories etc.

2 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I found out the basics but then visited the areas they lived and viewed their homes and workplaces etc.

Researched their military histories etc.

Taking photographs of those places always interesting😉

39 minutes ago, cressida said:

Taking photographs of those places always interesting😉

Ref photographs.

I bought a small book of photographs of the area my grandfather was from and amongst a group of people was a photo of his father.

I had not seen a photo of him before.

• Like 1

I suggest anyone over 60 who is not working and lonely does some voluntary work. 

3 minutes ago, Axe said:

I suggest anyone over 60 who is not working and lonely does some voluntary work. 

Moderator on Sheffield Forum ?

21 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Moderator on Sheffield Forum ?

I think there are too many over 60's who are unemployed and lonely making contributions here already and making them a moderator will not help them or be a benefit for the discussion forum.

8 minutes ago, Axe said:

I think there are too many over 60's who are unemployed and lonely making contributions here already and making them a moderator will not help them or be a benefit for the discussion forum.

Doesn't the government want the   ones who are aged 65 years  to go back to work,  that will help some out of their loneliness,  also the state pension bill is rising steeply which may be the reason.    (I'm a live-in carer btw)

Edited by cressida

11 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

You can today its persisting it down. :hihi:

Spend some cash on waterproof clothing !

Retirement is about doors opening not closing. It's a time to think about what you enjoy there are so many options .

If you like gardening have a walk to your nearest allotment and see if anyone would like some assistance in cultivating the plot in return for some produce this will open up new friendships.   There are a number of sociable walking groups in Sheffield give them a try ,they cater for a wide range of abilities . If that's not your thing what about volunteering ,theatres hospices, schools, food banks, these are just a few that love people to help.  If a more sedentary thing is what you enjoy consider learning a new skill computer classes,,crafts  bridge and  chess for example.

• Like 1

Well it's my birthday today and I haven't quite yet reached 80. So many happy returns to myself!

Retired at 66, a year later than I could have done and since then I always wondered how I found time to work.

Fill my time with looking after grandchildren; helping my boys with DIY; doing crosswords and puzzles; built an extension on the house over the past few years; researched the family's history; parish councillor; trustee of our village hall and, of course, occasionally delving into the realms of this forum.

Played table tennis for the past 60 odd years and I'm now the last man standing from the village TT team which was set up in the early '80s.

I've found retirement the best occupation ever. Love travelling to new places and learning new things. If I did have any spare time I'd probably join the U3A.

Always have something to look forward to and treasure your family and friends. All things must pass.

echo.

• Like 4