Another Great Cafe Gone

Vittles in Broomhill is no more. Bit of a shock when we turned up the other day and they were clearing the place out. Was my favourite cafe in Sheffield as well. And that's shortly after Andrews folded ..... another place we frequented. 😢

7 hours ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Vittles in Broomhill is no more. Bit of a shock when we turned up the other day and they were clearing the place out. Was my favourite cafe in Sheffield as well. And that's shortly after Andrews folded ..... another place we frequented. 😢

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02qXZecF8zbsKWEazzMK8CzokRorzefeMaYxXaEgVq62tm1zgQvAGGQGEKDhXd4FZcl&id=100047773129279

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

“Dear Vittles Cafe Customers and Friends,

Today, as we make this announcement, we do so with a heavy heart and a sense of duty to those who have made our cafe more than just a place to grab a coffee or a bite to eat. It is with a mix of sadness and gratitude that we share the news of our beloved cafe's immediate closure, a place that has been the cornerstone of the Broomhill community for so many years. 

This cafe has been more than just a business to us; it has been a community, a refuge, and a place where friendships have blossomed. Your presence, your laughter, and your camaraderie have made this cafe a home away from home for so many and for so many years.

The decision to close our doors has not been an easy one as we have been blessed with a community of loyal patrons who have not only been our customers but have become an integral part of our cafe family. As we reflect on the wonderful times we've shared, we cannot help but remember those who have passed, some of whom were not just customers but dear friends. Their absence weighs heavily on our hearts, and we want to ensure that they will never be forgotten. Their memory will forever be a part of the legacy of our cafe.

The reason for our closure is a pragmatic one. Our lease is coming to an end in a year, and rather than face the uncertainty of its expiration without any financial reward, we have made the difficult decision to sell. While this decision is necessary, it is tinged with sadness as we bid farewell to a place that has been so dear to us. The new owner has bought the Vittles name so the cafe may be resurrected at some juncture and I wish them the very best with it if this turns out to be the case.  

To our dedicated staff who have been the backbone of this cafe from every year of our service, we extend our deepest gratitude. Your hard work, dedication, and smiles have been the heart of this establishment, and we couldn't have done it without you.  

Unfortunately we were unable to tell anyone about the sale following the failure of the previous sale and the major financial impact this had upon us. We are aware that this will come as a shock to most people and we bear the necessary guilt of being unable to say our goodbyes. Even our immediate family were unaware of the sale until now. 

Although our cafe's doors may be closing, the memories and friendships we've forged here will continue to thrive. We hope you will carry the spirit of this place with you as you embark on new adventures and create new memories elsewhere.

Once again, thank you for being a part of our cafe family. You have filled our lives with joy, and your presence will be deeply missed. Rest assured that the memories of our beloved customers, past and present, will forever be in our hearts.

With profound love, gratitude and a touch of nostalgia,

Michael and Paula, Vittles Cafe.”

• Like 1

Never liked the place, so its loss is not mourned by me. Each to their own though.

I went twice and it felt like we were being rushed out both times. Part of the point of a cafe is that it's somewhere to sit in the warm and dry for a bit, relaxing. I don't mean for hours either, just slightly longer than it takes to eat or drink whatever you've bought.

In recent times they kept putting out those jumble sale shelves full of tat to cordon off part of the pavement. I'm all for outdoor seating areas but that just looked a ridiculous eyesore. 

They did amazing milkshakes. As a South Westerner, it was a regular treat of my childhood, going there for a milkshake. Shame they never did vanilla, like Fat Jack's across the road did. They did a nice strawberry one though. The cafe was always busy , popular with all ages. It must have been open for around 25 years. I recall it being there for most of my childhood. I am glad to hear that it is a retirement decision, rather than the abundance of businesses falling victim to the "cost of living crisis". It will be missed. 

On 18/09/2023 at 15:53, Bilge said:

In recent times they kept putting out those jumble sale shelves full of tat to cordon off part of the pavement. I'm all for outdoor seating areas but that just looked a ridiculous eyesore

I agree, it looked an eyesore and was inappropriate for a cafe. 

Molly Malone's on West Street and that Mr Wilson's bar are even worse for blocking the pavement with their banners. I complained to the council, said they would investigate and get back to me. A year later, still no reply.

Some new signage up on the old Vittles cafe, "Oli's".

There is, apparently, another place called Oli's on the corner of Fulwood Rd and Nile St.

Was Vittles cafe situated on the left at the top of Glossop Road' at the at the junction wth Fulwood Road? If so, I once went in there many years ago forra cuppa and a sarnie. I recall on that day I asked one of the staff where the toilet was. I was then directed behind the counter, then through the kitchen to the lav. That to me was unhygienic with food out on the work surfaces. I was very surprised the council had allowed Vittles to open in the first place.

The York Hotel(ex Stones) over the road was another loppy place regarding food. At the back of the pub there were a cuppla outdoor sheds that stored food. I decided I wouldn't be eating food there at any time.

I won't bother relating about nearby Balti King's poor hygiene that many already knew/know about. I wonder if the workers there were paid cash in hand, the lads ferried every day by minibus from Keighley and back.

I'm  beginning to sound like the real Victor Meldrew lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zakes said:

Was Vittles cafe situated on the left at the top of Glossop Road' at the at the junction wth Fulwood Road? If so, I once went in there many years ago forra cuppa and a sarnie. I recall on that day I asked one of the staff where the toilet was. I was then directed behind the counter, then through the kitchen to the lav. That to me was unhygienic with food out on the work surfaces. I was very surprised the council had allowed Vittles to open in the first place.

The York

The 1990s was a very different time. There was not the Molly coddling that goes on now.

15 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

The 1990s was a very different time. There was not the Molly coddling that goes on now.

Fond memories of 90s health and safety procedures during your time as a toddler have you? 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Fond memories of 90s health and safety procedures during your time as a toddler have you? 

Yes.

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2023 at 13:34, Bargepole23 said:

Some new signage up on the old Vittles cafe, "Oli's".

Well Oli's lasted a matter of months. We're now back to plastic on the windows and a new sign telling us a Sushi bar is coming soon. I'm still missing Mick's breakfasts 😢