Plain Talker's Funeral

Many members here will be familiar with the forthright posts of Plain Talker, her advocacy for minority groups (in  particular those with disabilities), her political leanings, and my particular favourites - the contributions she made to so many Sheffield History platforms, particularly on this forum. As most of you will know from a post earlier this week, she sadly passed away a few days ago, having finally succumbed to her numerous health challenges, which until a few weeks ago never seemed to slow her down

I've received word from her family today about the funeral arrangements. They would love her forum friends to be able to join them in saying goodbye to their feisty matriarch, so if anybody would like to attend, please post below,  so they have an idea of expected numbers. 

PT converted to Islam in her later years (probably over ten years ago now, thinking about it!), so the praying service will be in the Islamic faith. You're welcome to attend either or both services

Shiregreen Cemetery 1:30 praying service, 2:30 burial on Thursday 24th August

One particular request she made was for her treasured little terrier, Mr Pickles, to attend, so he'll be at the graveside service

• Like 1

"One particular request she made was for her treasured little terrier, Mr Pickles, to attend, so he'll be at the graveside service"

That nearly brought a tear to my eye.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, francypants said:

When is the funeral  ?

This is what happens when it takes about an hour to work out how to log back in, having arrived home from a week at a home ed festival with very little signal! 

It's Thursday this week (tomorrow). 

Can an admin/mod edit my post please? I can't find a members list anywhere to tell me who that might be now

It's years since I logged in but just wanted to pay my respects on the thread.  Fond memories of PT from the forum meets to her 'carer' updates on Facebook, despite her struggles she always maintained a great sense of humour, another SF treasure gone but never forgotten x

• Like 3

Surprised to hear she had a dog tbh, didnt think Muslims were "allowed" (as it were) to have them as pets. A nice touch though.

Was Plain talker in a wheelchair, a mixed race lady who protested against ticket barriers at Sheffield Station footbridge?

5 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Was Plain talker in a wheelchair, a mixed race lady who protested against ticket barriers at Sheffield Station footbridge?

That all sounds about right.

• Like 1

Will any forum members be attending?

This is my first post in a long time. Plain Talker was always very respected on here and since then she has remained a Facebook friend. I will not be able to make the service but will put time aside to pay my respects. 

Edna K

• Like 2

There'll be a bit of hush and quiet contemplation in  this half acre in France tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Not quite, but I think you do know who she is. She's not mixed race, but converted to Islam, which may be where confusion has arisen

10 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Surprised to hear she had a dog tbh, didnt think Muslims were "allowed" (as it were) to have them as pets. A nice touch though.

Can you see PT paying the blindest bit of attention to anybody else's opinion over whether or not she should keep pets? 😆