Buchanan Road - Any info?

hi can anybody supply info on this road i used to live there

thanks

Hi, ginger

I was born just around the corner from this road.

What do you want to know about this road or whats left of it.

I pass it most days, its in a very sorry state now.

Originally posted by ginger

hi can anybody supply info on this road i used to live there

thanks

Sheffield City Council has decided to demolish about 700 homes at Parson Cross due to ''lack of demand.''

They include some houses on Buchanan Road, Buchanan Crescent, Deerlands Avenue, Adlington Road, Launce Road, Falstaff Road and Adrian Crescent etc.

Most houses have been boarded up and workmen are now ripping them down, block by block, with a large JCB type machine. They become a pile of rubble in minutes.

hi ginger, i live on the same estate many of the houses on buchanan are empty and boarded up now they are due to be pulled down soon, the ones left are not up to much either ,better in your day eh? what number did you live at, i will let you know if it is going to survive the bulldozers!

Buchanan looks a sorry sight these days. A large amount of the houses are boarded up awaiting demolition. I feel sorry for the people who are still left living around all that mess.

And a few houses on Wordsworth Avenue are coming down.

The ones between Deerlands Ave and Buchanan Road, facing the council housing office that lies within the grounds of Chaucer School.

Talking of Chaucer School, you may recall that it was split into two halves - Halifax Road and Wordworth Avenue. Well the Halifax Road half has been closed and the Wordsworth Ave half has been extended. A huge amount of money has been spent on new school buildings.

View of Chaucer School from Wordsworth Avenue

I don't know what Buchanan used to be like, but in the last few years it was a hotbed for the local criminals of one sort or another, very sad.

Originally posted by Yorkie

And a few houses on Wordsworth Avenue are coming down.

The ones between Deerlands Ave and Buchanan Road, facing the council housing office that lies within the grounds of Chaucer School.

Talking of Chaucer School, you may recall that it was split into two halves - Halifax Road and Wordworth Avenue. Well the Halifax Road half has been closed and the Wordsworth Ave half has been extended. A huge amount of money has been spent on new school buildings.

View of Chaucer School from Wordsworth Avenue

I thought some Supermarket was going to build on the Halifax road part, didn't they get planning permission?

THis is a sorry state of affairs. .

As you say the demolision is going up as far as falstaff. . any mention of Symons Cresent>??

Born and bred up on there. .

Originally posted by Lickszz

I thought some Supermarket was going to build on the Halifax road part, didn't they get planning permission?

I'm not sure what the plans are but two supermarkets nearby, Lidl and Sommerfield, would be sure to object to a third supermarket.

Originally posted by munky

This is a sorry state of affairs. .

As you say the demolition is going up as far as Falstaff. . any mention of Symons Cresent ?

Born and bred up on there. .

Symons Crescent is all coming down. Some already has come down.

It's no use keeping what the people don't want. Most were 2 bedroom houses built in 1938. People want larger houses these days.