Buchanan Road - Any info?

Yorkie, thanks for the information. The 'empty land' is where Bignor road is now. Lyminster road ended just after it made a turn,at the bottom of the hill. then there was a lane that went straight down to Halifax road. From Doe Royd lane down to the White Horse pub was also empty land until about 1964, then a few shops were built . Across from the shops were some large advertising boards, behind them was empty land where the fair used to be held every year, whith Parsons Cross school next to it. I can still 'see' the area in my mind's eye, but that was over 45 years ago! I have a picture of #97 Brownng Road that my daughter took for me in 1984, when she was going to Leeds University. I know time dims memories, but the house she took a picture of looked like it was smaller that I remember!! It's good to reminisce, but I don't think I will ever return, I am reading too many negative things about Sheffield, maybe it would be better to live on memories! Brian Brady

Originally posted by oldtimer

Yorkie, thanks for the information. The 'empty land' is where Bignor road is now. Lyminster road ended just after it made a turn,at the bottom of the hill. then there was a lane that went straight down to Halifax road. From Doe Royd lane down to the White Horse pub was also empty land until about 1964, then a few shops were built. Across from the shops were some large advertising boards, behind them was empty land where the fair used to be held every year, with Parsons Cross school next to it.

Now there is not one scrap of building land in the Halifax Road corridor, apart from where a now-closed bowling alley was built right opposite Wadsley Bridge Station, on the old brickyard. Further up, part of Chaucer School has closed down but it's future use is undecided.

It's good to reminisce, but I don't think I will ever return, I am reading too many negative things about Sheffield, maybe it would be better to live on memories!

I don't blame you, stay where you are!

I have literally travelled all over the world - Sheffield is crap. It is only praised by people who can't compare it with anything else. I was a fool to stay here but I had family commitments and a false sense of dedication to a scruffy city.

I always said that I would live in Vancouver, Canada but regrettably I never got round to it.

I've visited friends in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and California. ALL of them are now enjoying opportunities and a lifestyle that Sheffielders can only dream of. My friends would NEVER consider returning to Sheffield to bring up their children - and their children just wouldn't allow it anyway!

Originally posted by pietro

You've seen the aerial view of Symons Crescent now take a look at the ground view.

http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v130/wharncliffe/sunny_012.jpg

And isn't it heartening to see that the council still insist on mowing the grass verges even though the district is unoccupied?

nice to see that they are giving us best value for our resources, as usual, and getting their priorities right!

PT (who thinks it's a huge pity that all these properties, across the city are being demolished, when there's folk crying out for housing!)

Originally posted by Plain Talker

PT (who thinks it's a huge pity that all these properties, across the city are being demolished, when there's folk crying out for housing!)

That's not true PT, people just did not want most of those houses, particularly the 2 bedroomed ones.

In some of them you couldn't swing a cat in the kitchen and toilets in the porch are a no no.

We're moving on from the 1930's.

That's a great record to keep - although some are a little dark.

Yorkie

As you will see from the sky the photo's were taken on two seperate occasions. The "darker" ones were taken in the pouring rain on a wet Sunday morning.

I have to agree with P.T regarding the destruction of family homes. Just go and ask the few residents left still living there if they want to move. Even though they are living in tiny enclaves amongst all the destruction.

Whilst taking the photos, I was approached, more than once, by concerned residents, wanting to know what I was doing and why. You see they still have a pride in the area.

No, the majority of these houses could have been modernised for very little money. They have done it in other parts of sheffield why not here. I have pictures of family homes with almost brand new roofs, with double glazing that were modernised in the last 20 years, awaiting demolition. If you would like to see them.

PT

I took the photos a couple of days apart, in the same week.

I can assure you, (PT) that the last thing on the councils mind at the moment are grass verges.It's an optical illusion or my photographic skills (or lack of them) that makes them appear that they have been cut.

On my second visit, where a couple of days earlier had stood family homes, now there was just a sea of rubble, houses that had been occupied, were now empty and boarded up or had been.

They are broken into within hours of people moving out. The only traffic I saw on the streets, were demolition vehicles, the few residents that are making a stand against the council and the pick up trucks cruising the streets looking for anything of value,and who can blame them.

If the council don't care about the wholesale destruction of an estate, why should they care about a bit of scrap.

No, the only problem on the council's mind at the moment, is what are they going to do with all that lovely money when the land is sold.

Originally posted by pietro

Yorkie

I have to agree with P.T regarding the destruction of family homes. Just go and ask the few residents left still living there if they want to move. Even though they are living in tiny enclaves amongst all the destruction.

No, the majority of these houses could have been modernised for very little money. They have done it in other parts of sheffield why not here.

We must re-build. Modernisation is not so cheap and some modernisation was done just to secure European grants. They don't extend the properties and that is the biggest complaint - not enough room for a modern family.

I have spoken to several people over there, and many are just hanging on to get better compo for houses that they have bought on the cheap from the Council.

The land is already owned by the Council (or should I say the people of Sheffield) so new builds do not cost the same as properties for sale on the open market.

Most of Parson Cross was built for under £200 per dwelling, so the money has been well recovered.

Let's avoid sentimentalism and move forward, or the housing stock will crumble around us - again.

Those pictures are the most disheartening I have ever seen!

I grew up there, it's like my early life never happened. I'm not very sentimental, at least I wasn't, but those pictures almost made me cry!! It is a crying shame that those houses were allowed to get into that state.