Buchanan Road - Any info?

Not exactly Buchanan Road - Info but very close....

Shops plan hold-up

PLANS for the creation of a multi-million pound district shopping centre in one of Sheffield's rundown housing estates are back in the melting pot.

Sheffield Council has decided to earmark a large part of the Chaucer school playing fields for development and to find an anchor retailer to become the key element of the centre.

But the original idea to sell the site to a supermarket chain appears to have been kicked into touch.

Early visions for a new retail centre in Parson Cross, based on a large part of the playing fields of Chaucer School, emerged last year as part of regeneration proposals for the entire estate. Supermarket giants Tesco were reported to be interested in the site, which is believed to be worth about £10 million to current owners Sheffield Council.

But it now appears that the council will put the land out to offers in an attempt to maximise profits, delaying the scheme by up to two years.

Money raised from any sale would be ploughed back into the Parson Cross area to help fund a huge regeneration programme.

Council leader Jan Wilson said: "The council is currently looking at what it can do with the site."

The regeneration of Parson Cross, one of Sheffield's largest council estates, is part of a masterplan for the north of Sheffield.

Housing chiefs are planning the demolition of around 1,000 properties on the estate.

The demolitions, and the clearance of the former Chaucer lower school site, would give planners the opportunity to improve street layouts and provide jobs.

Local councillor Tony Damms said no decisions had been taken over the future of the Chaucer site.

"Whatever we do there, it has to bring jobs into the area. A supermarket could provide those part-time jobs that allow people to take their childcare arrangements into account. It could be good for the area."

Just after WW.11 we moved into a new house on Wordsworth Ave

[415]

Before the shops on Margetson were built ,we used to shop on Buchanan.

I remember the chip shop,a dry goods store,a butcher's,a grocery store.

Rationing was still in force then

Does anyone remember the names of the stores?.

I can remember the Land Army Girls working in the wheat field that went from Wordsworth to Halifax Rd's

Originally posted by sweetdexter

Just after WWII we moved into a new house on Wordsworth Ave

[415] Before the shops on Margetson were built ,we used to shop on Buchanan. Does anyone remember the names of the stores?

I can remember the Land Army Girls working in the wheat field that went from Wordsworth to Halifax Road.

I know that house, in fact it recently had the whole front garden dug away, level with the road, to make a hard stand for a car.

I don't know the names of the shops then but I know that farms stretched from Southey Green Road and all the way to Ecclesfield in 1937. The only buildings for miles around were Doe Royd Farm, Deer Lands Farm at the bottom of Southey Hill and Southey Hall Farm which was half way up Southey Hill. Wordsworth Avenue was just a muddy footpath then. The farms and land were compulsory purchased by Sheffield Corporation to build the Parson Cross estate.

When did you leave Wordsworth ? The two fields in front of Margetson shops were covered with a working man's club and a church in the late 60's and the old single storey Wordsworth Tavern was replaced by a new 2 storey pub.

Just for sake of interest, (mine) can anybody tell me the condition of the houses bordered by Browning road, Halifax road, Wilcox road and Foxhill road? I spent my childhood there. I remember it with fond memories, as it was a nice clean estate, Foxhill Estate, we called it. There was a huge overgrown area from Doe Royd lane to Browning Road, stretching up to Lyminster Road, with a lane alongside the working man's club. From what I can see, there is now a short road going up what was a small piece of land behind the houses at the bottom of Browning Road. I left in 1958, and have never been back. Brian Brady, (ex #97 Browning Road.)

Originally posted by oldtimer

Just for sake of interest, (mine) can anybody tell me the condition of the houses bordered by Browning road, Halifax road, Wilcox road and Foxhill road? I spent my childhood there. I remember it with fond memories, as it was a nice clean estate, Foxhill Estate, we called it. There was a huge overgrown area from Doe Royd lane to Browning Road, stretching up to Lyminster Road, with a lane alongside the working man's club. From what I can see, there is now a short road going up what was a small piece of land behind the houses at the bottom of Browning Road. I left in 1958, and have never been back. Brian Brady, (ex #97 Browning Road.)

Those houses and W.M.Club still stand and a supermarket has been built on the other side of Halidax Road from the end of Lyminster Road, bordering Doe Royd Lane. Some flats/appartments were built below the Club. There is no empty/overgrown land in that area that I can think of.

The other side of Foxhill Road at the top of Browning is another story. Many flats were built there but they have recently been demolished. A couple of hundred of people must have been re-housed.

Browning Road

You should be able to get an aerial photo of the area.