Buchanan Road - Any info?

Originally posted by Yorkie

And a few houses on Wordsworth Avenue are coming down.

The ones between Deerlands Ave and Buchanan Road, facing the council housing office that lies within the grounds of Chaucer School.

I was talking to someone whilst waiting at the bus stop outside those very houses. He said he used to live in one of them and they were coming down because the school wanted the ground back where the rent office was so they were going to be building a new rent office over the road and knock the existing one down.

Originally posted by jonathand

I was talking to someone whilst waiting at the bus stop outside those very houses. He said he used to live in one of them and they were coming down because the school wanted the ground back where the rent office was so they were going to be building a new rent office over the road and knock the existing one down.

I hadn't heard that.

It will be interesting to see how the area developes over the next few years but it makes me wonder if the loss of 700 local families will allow Buchanan Road shops to survive.

The newsagent and the video shop have already closed.

Internet owl i never fail to nitice you are so quick to slag areas off including shiregreen (where iv just baught a house) and firth park (where i used to live) and now buchanan rd except of course longly iv seen i for one think its a shame to pull these houses down and to cram in undersized over priced cardboard houses.

Originally posted by Internetowl

its all fast food joints anyway - they are here today gone tomorrow by their very nature

Tell me about it.

I have to dig my way past all their leaflets in my hallway every day.

At least they're handy for that blue bin.

Originally posted by oldtimer

There used to be a good chip shop on Buchanan road, accessible after walking across the wheat field that used to stretch from Halifax road to Wordsworth Avenue (back in 1947, when arr were a chabby!)

The chuppie is now run by Chinese and I think the wheat grew into Chaucer School for 11 to 16 year olds. :)

it seems sad to pull down houses that apparently some are still in good condition. i lived in #158 and it backed onto the wheatfield i remember as a kid our gang used to build haystacks there and build tunnels through them and lob haybombs at each other

Originally posted by ginger

It seems sad to pull down houses that apparently some are still in good condition.

Not such good condition overall but blame the Conservative Party for that. They allowed council houses to be sold 20 years ago.

Obviously, only good houses were bought - and the Council were left with the crap stock, much of which was rented out to all kinds of social misfits, many of which lived rent-free and lacked respect either for the property or the area. After the area was run down, the misfits were then rehoused and paid up to 3000 quid for their ''inconvenience.''

Many so called ''single parents'' were allocated two separate houses with the rent being paid for by social security. On the quiet they would live together in one house whilst sub-letting the other and pocketing the rent.

The isolated Council houses that were sold are now having to be bought back by the Council for up to 10 times their original selling price, then demolished.

That wasted money was our money.