Hillsbrough Park Over Used?

13 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Serves them right for renting a public park, that is funded with our council tax, out for a private event.

As far as I'm aware, the organisers of the Hillsborough Parkrun had nothing to do with renting the park out for Tramlines – or do you mean it serves them right for using the park for the run?

Edited by horribleblob
  • Haha 1

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

"waaah waaah waaah I moved next to a major football stadium and I don't like the disruption wash waaah waaah".

Yup, very limited. 

To be fair we are not talking about the football stadium, we are talking about a  park.

But, since you bought up the football stadium you are wrong in your implication "it's been like that for 100 years" or whatever.

I used to live near the stadium from the late 80s and one was only really inconvenienced for about 15 min after the final whistle, they didn't even used to shut any of the roads.

However, despite the fact nobody has ever been killed walking to and from the ground they have slowly upped the H&S madness so one can be hugely inconvenienced before, during and after the game.

Did I hear some mad story that even Penistone Rd is shut for a while at the final kick off, and I mean both lanes.

Madness.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Here we go. 

He's going to mention covid isn't he......

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Genuine question. What's stopping a bunch of Parkrun fwriends pitching up at Hillsborough on Saturday morning and running the same route anyway? 

The answer is "nothing*. 

I will post my next reply from one of my other 1,372 forum accounts. 

No, there is nothing to stop that and that’s what some people do.  But these people are most likely already regular, confident runners. A bit of mud certainly won’t stop them going for a run and if they want to run socially they will make arrangements with likeminded friends. 
However, the parkrun events are not just for that type of runner.  They are also for people that wouldn’t otherwise get out there to run, jog and/or walk the 5k without the organised support of parkrun and benefit from the opportunity to meet others they wouldn’t otherwise meet.  These are people perhaps just starting out to increase their fitness and/or meet others in a similar situation.  It’s easy to dismiss this, and just say ‘put a pair of trainers and just go for a run’ but if were that simple we wouldn’t have so many people who don’t exercise enough and parkrun wouldn’t have had the immense popularity and many life changing success stories it has had. 
I’m sure a lot of people will go to alternative park runs to Hillsborough whilst they are cancelled but I’ll just repeat that it isn’t great that weeks of Hillsborough parkruns have been cancelled until September after a music festival held over one weekend in July.   Because the ethos of parkrun is to be accessible, inclusive and welcoming. There is no hatred towards festival goers, but Tramlines just needs a more suitable venue in future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MJ01 said:

He's going to mention covid isn't he......

Now you come to mention it, it's like WWII, relevant for almost anything.......

18 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Genuine question. What's stopping a bunch of Parkrun fwriends pitching up at Hillsborough on Saturday morning and running the same route anyway? 

The answer is "nothing*. 

so it wasn't a genuine question?

*this* is a genuine question : where else might Tramlines be held?

(i don't know, and i'm interested to hear suggestions)

Just now, ads36 said:

so it wasn't a genuine question?

*this* is a genuine question : where else might Tramlines be held?

(i don't know, and i'm interested to hear suggestions)

Ecclesfield pk.  huge and flat.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Padders said:

Too far out from Sheffield city centre to be viable tbh.  Don Valley Bowl might work (its right next to the tram) but think the capacity is a little less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Spoiler
Spoiler

what about meadowhall where the huge funfair/beach is held on solid ground?

• Like 1

Spoof posters appear dismissing damage to Hillsborough Park

The notices say another Tramlines festival this autumn will make 'more money at the expense of residents'

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/spoof-posters-appear-dismissing-tramlines-damage-to-hillsborough-park-4277175

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣