Read on another site that the Big Gun pub in the Wicker is to close for good in September and the last surviving pub on that thouroughfare. Pity, as the place -at least mid- 1970s/80s- was one of the cleanest and well run places and great beer in that area.

Me and my dad called in there for a few pints while on the way to Manchester Hotel round corner . After about half an hour my dad said , “ pick your pint up son “  . Then a rather large Lady started chucking and slapping a little Irish feller , all over the place .  😀

That's sad and the last surviving pub in the Wicker as well you say? Even sadder if so. 

is it to let or just boarded up ?sad to see another pub close

Sorry, some people might be offended, but just a proper dive. Most of The Wicker is tbh. Heaven knows where the clientele will go boozing when it closes. Possibly Hen and Chickens or Bankers Draft. 

Happy memories of the big gun…

OK….it were 50 odd years ago.

In them days it were  great.

Sad to hear it’s closing.

• Like 1

Is the Hen and Chickens still functioning ?

I was down that way a few months ago and was astonished it was still open. Seemingly just the same as it's been for decades.  I went in just once, about 15 years ago. It was exactly as I'd imagined - a grim run-down pub  that I was glad to leave.

I hope it can be retained as a pub and revived one day. I'm sure someone will open a decent pub round that way at some point. It could succeed. Look at what Kelham Island used to be like.

"A Nice Pub For Nice People". 

I can't comment on the people as I've never spoken to any of them, but 'nice pub'? Mate.

Edited by Delbow

On 08/05/2023 at 18:35, bungleboy69 said:

Sorry, some people might be offended, but just a proper dive. Most of The Wicker is tbh. Heaven knows where the clientele will go boozing when it closes. Possibly Hen and Chickens or Bankers Draft. 

What about Tap and Barrel (old Bull & Oak) is that still open? Always some unsavoury types frequenting there.

36 minutes ago, St Petre said:

What about Tap and Barrel (old Bull & Oak) is that still open? Always some unsavoury types frequenting there.

You mean the Bull and Mouth and yes, as far as I know, it’s still open. The Bull and Oak was demolished when they built the ring road.

Just now, Jim Hardie said:

You mean the Bull and Mouth and yes, as far as I know, it’s still open. The Bull and Oak was demolished when they built the ring road.

It’s called Petal now . Only seen it open when they have events on the grey to green area  but I’m not down there often .