Dan Walker Hit By Car On Sheffield Roundabout

5 minutes ago, WarPig said:

You certainly are entitled to go via the roundabout and reach the other side without incident, but as it's not guaranteed I think you are right to use the underpass instead, as I would, being a much safer route. No point being in the right when you're 6ft under.

Folk can bleat on that cyclists should be able to use the roundabout, which they should, but sadly on that roundabout it comes at a high risk so it's a bit go a gamble. Better to avoid and stay alive.

I agree with that.

There are places where a cyclist is entitled to use them but  common sense says it's wiser not to undertake that risk.

9 hours ago, geared said:

The car that hit him was in the centre most lane, which does not allow for exit down Moore Street.  

9 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

The centre lane allows for an exit down Moore St or to continue around to St Mary's Gate.

No it doesn't:

The lane (marked) does not exit onto Moore Street, only the outer two lanes do that.

KYd01TJ.jpg

Edited by geared

Looking at the dashcam footage which was on the Daily Mail website (which gave a different view to that on the Sun's website), it looked to me as though the car carried on on the same trajectory, whereas Dan definitely seems to veer to his right somewhat and in doing so the car contacts his rear wheel. It would be interesting to hear the car driver's version rather than just Dan's.

The location on the Daily Mail's website appears to be incorrect as it shows the crash happening at the exit for Hanover Way, but the point of impact was at the exit for Moore Street..

67926875-11775165-image-m-19_16769993422

4 hours ago, geared said:

No it doesn't:

The lane (marked) does not exit onto Moore Street, only the outer two lanes do that.

KYd01TJ.jpg

You know the lane you've marked isn't the centre lane?

9 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

You know the lane you've marked isn't the centre lane?

Centre most lane of the roundabout, as I'd already said.  Inner most lane?  How would you describe it?

Either way, the marked lane is the one I was originally talking about.

That roundabout is accident waiting to happen for all who use it needs traffic lights .

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

That roundabout is accident waiting to happen for all who use it needs traffic lights .

I will agree to a point as long as they were properly placed like Park Square and not the total mess, with lights being placed immediately after an exit, as at university roundabout.

However, I doubt traffic lights would have done much to change the situation with Dan Walker's accident.

Fact is, whoever is it fault - which will be continually debated until the cows come home -  Walker didn't exactly help himself.  He could have chosen to use the purpose built cycle path but didn't.  He could have chosen to wear more appropriate reflective or bright coloured clothing but didn't.  That is going to be a contributor to what happened.

Personally, I also detest the way he has gone for the easy clickbait of the ambulance selfie and me me me attention seeking.

God sake, he's supposed to be a journalist. If you want some serious message about cycle safety and enquiries on what the council should be doing to make people safer, he could have done so through proper impartial and  factual discussion.  Instead he has gone for the tabloid trashy approach, which IMO has lost him both credibility and sympathy. 

Just like Andrew Neil, Jeremy Vine and Suzanna Reed before him, they all seem to eventually get lured into selling out and dropping  into the downmarket, dumbing down side. 

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

IHe could have chosen to wear more appropriate reflective or bright coloured clothing but didn't.  That is going to be a contributor to what happened.

There have been numerous studies carried out that suggest hi-viz clothing makes little difference and some conclude that it actually makes the wearer more likely to have a collision. Check this summary.

Interestingly in places where cycling is more common, like Denmark and Holland, there is very little use of hi-viz. 

For what I saw Dan was in the correct lane if was going to exit on Moore Street and the car veered into his path, there is no argument there, it's clear the driver was at fault.

7 minutes ago, Cody's Granddad said:

For what I saw Dan was in the correct lane if was going to exit on Moore Street and the car veered into his path, there is no argument there, it's clear the driver was at fault.

I don’t think anyone can dispute that the car driver was at fault, but Dan could have done lots to drastically reduce the chance of that happening, but didn’t.

Cycling around that roundabout is madness, cycling a route that puts you in the centre lane of that roundabout is suicidal. You should be able to cycle there, but reality says you shouldn’t. 

As a pedestrian I should be able to cross a busy road without incident, but using a pedestrian crossing minimises any  risk greatly. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, WarPig said:

I don’t think anyone can dispute that the car driver was at fault, but Dan could have done lots to drastically reduce the chance of that happening, but didn’t.

Cycling around that roundabout is madness, cycling a route that puts you in the centre lane of that roundabout is suicidal. You should be able to cycle there, but reality says you shouldn’t. 

As a pedestrian I should be able to cross a busy road without incident, but using a pedestrian crossing minimises any  risk greatly. 

Sorry but I’d disagree. I’d happily cycle round that roundabout rather than use the subway.

Everyone does their own assessment of the risks and decides what’s best for them. 

• Like 1