Moorfoot Building To Be Flats What Peoples Thoughts?

36 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I agree with you but theres no point having bars, restaurants and cinemas if there is no one living nearby to go to them is there

The high street has died so we have to change our city centres 

Especially in a city like Sheffield that its essentially a city made up of dozens of towns and villages

Also,  Meadowhall will always be the main shopping destination for people who want to drive

There are people living all around, the waiting list for a GP appointment shows that.

I don't agree that the High Street as a general has died, just Sheffield High Street. I was in another city centre yesterday and the stores were bustling, there were people out drinking and eating and lots of mini shopping centres/restaurants contained in close proximity. 

I don't see why there can't be both Meadowhall and something similar in the city centre. Leeds has Trinity in the city and White Rose in Cottingley on the outskirts. Not everyone who visits Leeds lives in Leeds either. I am one of those people who doesn't.

2 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

No, I prefer the "regeneration" of the city centre to be leisure/retail/tourism focussed, rather than residential. 

As far as I know, the town hall is still in use as a wedding venue, council HQ and birth registry office. 

Moorfoot House is a fine building, nothing wrong with it and much better than having building after building that all look the same.  My point is about the repurposing, not so much the fact of saving the building though.

Thats the new Town hall .

3 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

So you prefer the buildings to be empty and dilapidated?

Its because of the heritage numpties that the Sheffield's Old Town Hall has been empty and decaying since 1995

They'll be sorry when it finally collapses or burns down in a fire

That’s a good point.

I believe the Moorfoot building is full of rats though.  I don’t think I’d want to live there. 

7 minutes ago, redruby said:

That’s a good point.

I believe the Moorfoot building is full of rats though.  I don’t think I’d want to live there. 

Rats are removable, not easily, but it is do-able. What needs to be addressed and tackled is the entry points.

Sheffield City Centre seems to be having a significant problem with rats at the moment. The botanical patch outside Novotel and the ramp next to the Millennium Galleries have warning notices of rat poison next to them. 

21 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Rats are removable, not easily, but it is do-able. What needs to be addressed and tackled is the entry points.

Sheffield City Centre seems to be having a significant problem with rats at the moment. The botanical patch outside Novotel and the ramp next to the Millennium Galleries have warning notices of rat poison next to them. 

There is a rat problem in town like in all city centres but I think The Moorfoot building is particularly bad.  Good luck to anyone trying to sort that out.

8 hours ago, bassett one said:

flatten the lot that removes the rats ,maybe to somewhere else ,but gone from that building

Definitely and I was surprised that isn’t the plan.  Apparently the council are trying to reduce their carbon footprint by keeping the building.  I’m not usually a fan of the wastefulness of knocking down and rebuilding but in this case I think it’s the best option.  It’s one thing working in a rat infested building but living in it is another ballgame.  And I’d imagine turning into flats would likely make the rat problem worse as there will be more food waste.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Thats the new Town hall .

The current Town Hall is the Victorian Grade 2 Listed building at the Peace Gardens. We all know that.

The 'new' Town Hall was the Eggbox, no sooner built than demolished.

The original Sheffield Town Hall is also listed, of course- and this is the one that lay disused for decades.

[AND it's why properties on Fargate seem to be numbered wrongly, although they're not.

Sheffield numbering generally runs away from the T.H.

Fargate pre-dates the current T.H.- hence its numbering runs uphill towards the current T.H, because that's 'away' from where the original Sheffield T.H. stands.]

• Like 1