New Steepest Street In Sheffield

I also remember this old forum topic discussing this grade and steepest over and over. And it went going on all over the place. Sheffield is a very hilly city. 

It's not some competition between these streets of being the steepest. 

Should be moved to the I'm bored section as well. 

10 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Linaker Road and Waller Road have to be contenders, surely?

I lived on the next road to these roads so having walked up them many times I agree.

• Like 1

Bamford Clough is a famous trials section, used pre war. Not sure which war... A  test of man and machine. When I were a lad four of us tried to drive mother's Morris Minor up the hill, and with three pushing we couldn't do it. But in recent times it has been chewed to death by the 4X4 enthusiasts. When it has been regraded my guess is they will gate it top and botom. 

How steep is the top bit of Cobnar Road? 

Other day I went down Hagg Hill ( the one that starts on Rivelin Valley Rd along from the Paddling Pool) and about a hundred yards up from the bottom was a giant artic (the one with six wheels on the trailer) which had obviously broken down as an identical one in front was being prepared to tow it up the hill to Manchester Rd!

Hagg Hill is supposedly steeper than most but of course has no buildings on it.

8 minutes ago, carosio said:

Other day I went down Hagg Hill ( the one that starts on Rivelin Valley Rd along from the Paddling Pool) and about a hundred yards up from the bottom was a giant artic (the one with six wheels on the trailer) which had obviously broken down as an identical one in front was being prepared to tow it up the hill to Manchester Rd!

Hagg Hill is supposedly steeper than most but of course has no buildings on it.

Ah yes, forgot about Hagg Hill ! I’m sure that it’s a good contender. I’ve driven up it many times but never walked up it.

Guest makapaka

I’ve got some interesting data on this somewhere - how can I post a picture up here?

30 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I’ve got some interesting data on this somewhere - how can I post a picture up here?

Easiest way is to upload to an image host then link it. 

One I use is Imgur

Click this LINK  It'll take you striaight to the upload page. 

Once you've uploaded the image click the three dots next to Copy Link then select Get Share Links

One of those links says BBCode (Forums) Click Copy Link next to it then just paste it into your post on here. The forum will sort the rest for you. 

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Resident said:

Easiest way is to upload to an image host then link it. 

One I use is Imgur

Click this LINK  It'll take you striaight to the upload page. 

Once you've uploaded the image click the three dots next to Copy Link then select Get Share Links

One of those links says BBCode (Forums) Click Copy Link next to it then just paste it into your post on here. The forum will sort the rest for you. 

Thanks for taking the time to post that but it sounds way too complicated for me.

the “top 4” are recorded in order of average gradient;

blake street - 17

hagg hill - 14

jenkin road - 11

myrtle road - 9

this is average gradient tho - jenkin has one stretch which is 25% which is probably the steepest 

also the likes of Waller road as mentioned above are brutally steep in places but possible lower average overall.

Porlock Hill holds the prize of being the steepest A road in England.

On 23/10/2022 at 16:46, Baron99 said:

How long in distance does a street have to run to be considered the steepest street? 

Some streets get progressively steeper or have steeper bits in the middle of them. 

I'd say that the likes of Marden Rd would qualify & what about Woodseats Rd & Scarsdale Rd? 

This the thing, Ivanhoe Road at Malin Bridge is only about 100 metres long, but you have to be pretty fit to reach the top without stopping

Bottom half of Ansell road is pretty steep too.