Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

13 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Have I ever said it wasn’t a good idea to look at a project and see what didn’t go well and why? I’ve always said learning lessons is a good thing and I’d expect SCC will be doing that.

You’re quoting a response to a specific point about why the council is having to organise getting the containers removed.

The specific point can not be taken in isolation as it is a part of  the whole project's failure.

"Lessons will be learnt " the usual phrase.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Well he is leader of the opposition, so you might well expect him to be looking to make what political capital he can from it. 

Hmmm... :huh:

And this is just the sort of petty, vindictive thinking that many Government and local council employees tend to have, and why very little of any use ever gets done!

It's all about point scoring and ego stroking...
... and they themselves always THINK they know best and are NEVER in the wrong! :roll:

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Disputes that go to court cost a fortune. (oftem millions.) They could save money by getting it right in the first place.

Yes, they always try to, which is why they have procurement and legal teams that must be involved in any procurements and sign off on them.

They also use industry standard forms of contract and normally look for contractors through established frameworks, where the contractors have been vetted and provided evidence of compliance with all the requirements you’d expect.

As has been said, no matter what extent you go to, legal / contract disputes can and do arise.

Just now, Mr Bloke said:

And this is just the sort of petty, vindictive thinking that many Government and local council employees tend to have

You’re talking about a councillor, not an employee.

5 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

You’re talking about a councillor, not an employee.

You think? :hihi:

9 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

The specific point can not be taken in isolation as it is a part of  the whole project's failure.

"Lessons will be learnt " the usual phrase.

Sorry, but I can choose to answer a specific point with a specific answer. It’s nothing to do with an overall view of the project. You are quoting things out of context.

Yes, the usual phrase which any organisation will use. What exactly would you expect?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Planner1 said:

Sorry, but I can choose to answer a specific point with a specific answer. It’s nothing to do with an overall view of the project. You are quoting things out of context.

Yes, the usual phrase which any organisation will use. What exactly would you expect?

For them to actually mean what they say, without the figurative 'crossed fingers behind their backs'?

Maybe our authorities should go for fixing the broke things instead of trying to fix not broke things and then creating a whole new stratum of broke. Take Abbeydale and Eccleshall Roads for example. Current status: not broke; indeed thriving. Oh dear, here comes a bunch of numpties trying to fix things. Watch out, new level of broke incoming.

Anyway, that's my humble contribution to the debate. Never mind me, as you were.

• Like 1

The original costs of this project (£300,000 later increased to £446,000) were met from central government funding via the "Get Britain Building" fund. Has it been stated whether the latest costs will also be met by central government or will the council have to make up the difference? (I know it all comes out of our taxes in one way or another, but local council funds seem to be particularly squeezed at the moment.)

but that extra cost to remove them as they have to use another company and they cannot or dont have time to get a better quote,mine would of been scrap them and send us the dosh

On 17/02/2023 at 14:55, E-Man Groovin said:

Abbeydale and Eccleshall Roads for example. Current status: not broke; indeed thriving.

I'm not sure - go and look at the empty shops - particularly on Ecclesall road - something has clearly been going wrong for years.

business rates?

online shopping?

1 hour ago, northernboy said:

The original costs of this project (£300,000 later increased to £446,000) were met from central government funding via the "Get Britain Building" fund. Has it been stated whether the latest costs will also be met by central government or will the council have to make up the difference? (I know it all comes out of our taxes in one way or another, but local council funds seem to be particularly squeezed at the moment.)

I believe the containers were part of the £15.8m Future High Streets funding the council have received from government for the wider regeneration work on Fargate, so cost increases will come out of that as far as I’m aware.

• Like 1

Just now, Planner1 said:

I believe the containers were part of the £15.8m Future High Streets funding the council have received from government for the wider regeneration work on Fargate, so cost increases will come out of that as far as I’m aware.

And reduce even further the amount of finance available for the wider project which, hopefully, will (or would) have a more lasting benefit.