'Next Pandemic Could Be More Lethal Than Covid'

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Nothing wrong with graphs, I've always like them.

But, as I've said elsewhere, it doesn't really matter what anyone puts on here, because it is not about the science or the data and never really has been. It's about people's attitude to living life on the one hand, and death on the other.

"It's about people's attitude to living life on the one hand, and death on the other" ✔️

& just how long a topic can go, before it disintegrates into name calling 🧐 🙃.

6 hours ago, West 77 said:

It was over hundred years since the last major pandemic happened meaning the likelihood is none of us will be around when the next one strikes.

Novel coronaviruses are jumping the species barrier roughly every 8 years so o wouldn't be so sanguine. Previous coronaviruses, e.g. MERS, had a much higher mortality rate than SARS-COV 2 but were less contagious. If we get one as transmissible as this one but more lethal, we're £&#@ed. 

Best way of stopping that seems to be reducing human/animal contact, i.e. stop transporting and eating animals.

And here we go :bigsmile:

The Worlds not £&#@ed! vaccines, mask wearing and lockdown's have all been a big hoax.

All we had to do was - remove meat from the food chain.

Nut's it is then 🤣

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Best way of stopping that seems to be reducing human/animal contact, i.e. stop transporting and eating animals.

That's not the problem though although it would suit Greta and many other anti meat eaters if it was the case. The main problem is not animal consumption but how it is physically handled. In the countries where most of these viruses spring from the population is very poor and so is their education so they eat what they can to survive. The animal husbandry, conditions and hygiene is lacking and almost non existent, and close contact of humans to animals happens a lot more frequently now.  That is how the viruses cross over to infect humans.

2 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

That's not the problem though although it would suit Greta and many other anti meat eaters if it was the case. The main problem is not animal consumption but how it is physically handled. In the countries where most of these viruses spring from the population is very poor and so is their education so they eat what they can to survive. The animal husbandry, conditions and hygiene is lacking and almost non existent, and close contact of humans to animals happens a lot more frequently now.  That is how the viruses cross over to infect humans.

Bats are the main source of coronaviruses. They live in caves. Every night they fly out of their caves and deposit their guano while in flight. The guano which goes everywhere contains viable coronavirus. Lots of opportunity for coronaviruses to jump species barriers.

7 hours ago, Chekhov said:

It has little to do with that, and far  far more to do with the fact people just accepted death (and got on with their lives) back then.

Flu vaccines hadn't been developed - and I suppose world war one had nothing to do with it?

What a  headline crock of ****e .

Scaremongering again.

The Death rate of fit healthy people is almost non existant.

"Could be"

Science Fiction to scare people...............  oh yes, the governemt are right to do .....x  .. y  .. z    -   anything they say....  they are always right...... !!!!

41 minutes ago, actionman said:

What a  headline crock of ****e .

Scaremongering again.

The Death rate of fit healthy people is almost non existant.

About a quarter of the UK population have underlying health problems.

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-021-10427-2

That doesn't mean they're at deaths door.

2 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

Bats are the main source of coronaviruses. They live in caves. Every night they fly out of their caves and deposit their guano while in flight. The guano which goes everywhere contains viable coronavirus. Lots of opportunity for coronaviruses to jump species barriers.

Bats aren't the main source though and there are several types of Coronaviruses as well. Some are from poultry, some are from pigs, some are from Camels. The one we are currently all suffering from is linked to bats but it may not be a bat that spread it and its more likely to have jumped species (a civet cat is the suspect) and emerged from another animal that the bat encountered. 

1 minute ago, Dromedary said:

Bats aren't the main source though and there are several types of Coronaviruses as well. Some are from poultry, some are from pigs, some are from Camels. The one we are currently all suffering from is linked to bats but it may not be a bat that spread it and its more likely to have jumped species (a civet cat is the suspect) and emerged from another animal that the bat encountered. 

Bats are the origin of SARS, MERS and SARS-CoV-2 and are the subject of intensive virology research based on the huge variety of viruses they harbour and the potential threat they pose to humans. For example: Bat origin of human coronaviruses ( https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12985-015-0422-1 ). As you say there is often an intermediate host between bat and human. I seem to remember that virologists found many antibodies for various bat coronaviruses found in bat infested areas of Southern China meaning presumably that human were being infected directly by bats. Sorry I cannot remember where I read this.

10 hours ago, Chekhov said:

It is  along term trend of history that people are, rightly of wrongly, becoming less and less accepting of death. I see no slowing of the pace of that trend so one wonders just how far it will go.

The point to the thread, is what strategies do you think would be reasonable and proportionate for a theoretical virus which was killing 1 in  50 of those infected and was indiscriminate, i

Two thoughts:

- what do you mean by “accepting of death”?

- are fatalities the correct measure of the impact of disease/illness?