Compulsory Vaccination?

Compulsory Vaccination?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is it morally acceptable for a country to make covid vaccination compulsory for the general population?

• Yes, in some countries the situation in sufficiently bad that this can reasonably be considered.
    • No, while compulsory mass vaccination is not morally wrong under all circumstances, it is wrong for covid at this time.
    • No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.

15 hours ago, Longcol said:

Where did I say compulsory vaccination (and having to wear a mask all day, which cannot be that nice for the residents either) of care home staff was the only cause of the crisis ? 

But it is undoubtedly one of main drivers. This point was made by the manager of my Mother-In-Laws care home.

The poll shows that once again the population are divided pretty much down the middle, which is interesting.

I think it shows the polarisation taking place in society which is splitting the population. 

Just like with Brexit I really can't see the way forward theses days. There's a lot of disaffection and angst going on.

People are not happy. 

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The poll shows that once again the population are divided pretty much down the middle, which is interesting.

I think it shows the polarisation taking place in society which is splitting the population. 

Just like with Brexit I really can't see the way forward theses days. There's a lot of disaffection and angst going on.

People are not happy. 

The curious thing is that those who have expressed an opinion on the poll question in a post have all spoken against compulsory vaccination (I think) yet the poll has split fairly evenly. There seems to have been a lot of 'shy voting' on just one side of the issue.

On 26/11/2021 at 20:45, Chekhov said:

The NHS is under pressure !

It is, and it is Covid related, but it's not for the reason you may think :

It was obvious this was going to happen, to anyone with half a brain anyway. In fact I remember talking to the manager of my Mother In Law's care home months ago saying she was very worried where she'd get the staff she needs from as a significant minority of her current care staff would not get vaccinated (and therefore would be sacked). Not that they even need to get vaccinated because all the residents have been vaccinated and are therefore very unlikely to die of Covid. But these days who is actually bothered about logic anymore ?

* and, I would expect, mandatory mask wearing all day, who wants to do that ? Not me for certain.

I like a bit of logic,but see none in this.

“Residents are very unlikely to die of Covid because they have all been vaccinated,but care staff don’t need the vaccine..”

On that basis it seems at least advisable

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Love it (but never has a truer word been said in jest) :

AFVgecg.jpg.46fc4832c896e9bc17fede86fe93

That could have been written by Daddy,but he prefers one liners or even one worders.

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Love it (but never has a truer word been said in jest) :

AFVgecg.jpg.46fc4832c896e9bc17fede86fe93

Playing Devil's advocate here, but we don't seem to mind having a flu jab every year (because each flu season brings a new varient.) Is this really so different? Once this thing is more under control, I think a covid jab will be offered to the older population every year just like Flu. 

There seems to be a lot of hysteria around on both sides. By trying to steer a centre course the government is damned if they do and damned if they don't. They've made mistakes for sure, and sometimes gone over the top, but I think a lot of this crisis is down to the media's reactions. Exageration and drama sells newspapers. Calm, balanced, sensible reporting doesn't.

11 hours ago, RJRB said:

I like a bit of logic,but see none in this.

“Residents are very unlikely to die of Covid because they have all been vaccinated,but care staff don’t need the vaccine..”

On that basis it seems at least advisable

It's perfectly logical. Once care home residents are vaccinated they are unlikely to die of Covid. There is still a chance, but they are far more likely to die of something else, so, relatively speaking, it's not worth worrying about. Particularly if it means their care is going to suffer due to a shortage of staff. .....

Vaccines are not that effective at stopping transmission anyway, so it is doubly pointless.

2 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

>>Vaccines are not that effective at stopping transmission anyway, so it is doubly pointless.<<

This is false.

It is not false. By disagreeing with that statement you must believe the converse to be true, i.e. vaccines are effective (implication very effective) at stopping transmission.

That is misinformation.

1 - I know loads of people who have caught Covid, nearly all had been vaccinated. I would have thought most people on here would also know the same. Though to be fair none ended up in hospital.

2 - The Times 23 Aug 21 p35 :
The former head of the vaccine taskforce [Clive Dix] has spoken out against the policy of "jabs for jobs", arguing that young people do not need to be double jabbed to go back to the office. Mr Dix said that many companies were ignorant of what double vaccination meant for their staff .  He told The Sunday Telegraph "if people are young and they get double vaccinated they'll probably get slightly less illness than if they're single dosed but most of them will be fine either way. Vaccination doesn't actually completely stop transmission, it just slows it down a bit.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jabs-for-jobs-unnecessary-says-ex-head-of-vaccine-taskforce-clive-dix-tp3zgqvzz

3 - The Times 22 Nov 21 (p12)

Sir John Bell, regius professor of medicine at Oxford, states that [Covid] vaccines should really be stopping people getting really sick, [but] kids of that age do not get really sick. Vaccines aren't very good at stopping transmission so you are not taking them to protect others.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covid-19-vaccinations-for-children-it-depends-who-you-ask-p8tvbt5j2

4 - Vaccines may not cut amount of Covid virus in the body (6 Aug 21)

BBC Coronavirus report

Edited by Chekhov