Compulsory Vaccination?

Compulsory Vaccination?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is it morally acceptable for a country to make covid vaccination compulsory for the general population?

• Yes, in some countries the situation in sufficiently bad that this can reasonably be considered.
    • No, while compulsory mass vaccination is not morally wrong under all circumstances, it is wrong for covid at this time.
    • No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I'm not sure in this case it's the government that's creating the hysteria, more the media. Boris seems to be trying to calm things down. He's said quite clearly that Christmas will not be cancelled, and a lot of people seem to be ignoring the mask wearing thing and nothing's said. Personally I think testing people coming into the UK is sensible/ reasonable until they know more about the new varient. 

I agree with the rest of your thread, especially the bit about control. People are all but clamouring for restrictions to be imposed on them for something which with the vaccinations really isn't much worse than flu, and arguably, never was. 

I saw a headline earlier that said a decision on Xmas would be made on the 18th, not sure how accurate it was but most will rightly ignore it anyway.

It is about control and whats bizarre is that people who are on these pages slating the Tories seem quite happy to let them have total control of their lives in the not too distant future, strange.

1 hour ago, top4718 said:

I saw a headline earlier that said a decision on Xmas would be made on the 18th, not sure how accurate it was but most will rightly ignore it anyway.

It is about control and whats bizarre is that people who are on these pages slating the Tories seem quite happy to let them have total control of their lives in the not too distant future, strange.

What are your you afraid of ?

2 hours ago, sibon said:

I've been in Sainsbury, Tesco and Aldi tonight.

Almost everyone masked. The unmasked were either young males in their twenties, or fifty something  blokes with a chip on each shoulder and often a bit of a sweatiness issue.

Thanks to all the normal people who take sensible precautions

Nice bit of misandry there... well done.

Guest sibon
6 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Nice bit of misandry there... well done.

Just reporting what I saw. 

That's what we do on here these days.

Research, you see.

They can cancel Christmas without a problem. After all it's just a, mostly white, capitalistic orgy of rampant materialism.

We should all want to protect our families, friends, and neighbors, from dreaded diseases, right?

But if they try to cancel Ramadan,  Hanukkah, Passover, Diwali, or the latest religious holy days, Kwanza and Gaia (Earth Day), they might run into problems. :)

Edited by trastrick

10 hours ago, top4718 said:

Whats absolutely bizarre is that people on this very thread are quite happy to hand total control of their lives to these lunatics.

Incidentally if they do try to cancel Xmas they'll have the biggest rebuke to restrictions that have been seen so far.

Sadly "top" I continue to be stunned by the degree which people are willing, sheeplike, to follow all these ludicrous restriction and edicts, so, whilst I agree there will be less adherence than last year, I suspect the majority will subserviently comply.

10 hours ago, sibon said:

I've been in Sainsbury, Tesco and Aldi tonight.

Almost everyone masked. The unmasked were either young males in their twenties, or fifty something  blokes with a chip on each shoulder and often a bit of a sweatiness issue.

Thanks to all the normal people who take sensible precautions

Thanks and much respect due, to the freedom fighters who say NO, I will not comply with these ineffective disproportionate and draconian edicts.

11 hours ago, top4718 said:

Can anyone explain the current OTT response from the Government with regards to a variant that has yet to make a single person seriously ill (Omicron), re-introduced useless comfort blankets, mandatory tests for people coming into the UK and a decision about "cancelling" Christmas on the 18th December, why are they getting away with this and why isn't it being questioned. months and 

I have just heard that on the radio. 

The answer is that the people have been scared ****less over the last 18 months and will agree with anything, however disproportionate and ineffective,  if they think it will lower their chances of getting Covid.

The UNBELIEVABLE thing is that if vaccinated (or under 40 and healthy), they are not actually in that much danger from Covid. But they do not want to get confused by the facts......AGEUK-death-rate-per-age-group-popn-tota

20 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Sadly "top" I continue to be stunned by the degree which people are willing, sheeplike, to follow all these ludicrous restriction and edicts, so, whilst I agree there will be less adherence than last year, I suspect the majority will subserviently comply.

Thanks and much respect due, to the freedom fighters who say NO, I will not comply with these ineffective disproportionate and draconian edicts.

As a 51 year old man, a bit over-weight, who smokes, I was grateful to have had the vaccine when I caught Covid 3 weeks ago. Very mild symptoms - would that have been the case without the vaccine? Who knows, I'm just happy not to have been in the position to find out. As for Omicron, I think prudence is in order while we check the effects of it. If it turns out to be less deadly than the previous varients, then we can revert the restrictions. 

As for the unmasked being freedom fighters, it reminds me of an old saying:

"One mans freedom fighter is another mans toddler having a tantrum"

giphy.webp

11 hours ago, top4718 said:

Can anyone explain the current OTT response from the Government with regards to a variant that has yet to make a single person seriously ill (Omicron), re-introduced useless comfort blankets, mandatory tests for people coming into the UK and a decision about "cancelling" Christmas on the 18th December, why are they getting away with this and why isn't it being questioned.

Whats absolutely bizarre is that people on this very thread are quite happy to hand total control of their lives to these lunatics.

Incidentally if they do try to cancel Xmas they'll have the biggest rebuke to restrictions that have been seen so far.

Actually they will comply because they don't want to be seen as described in the media, anti-science zealots, who are willing to put themselves, their families, their neighbors, their fellow countrymen at great risk, or god forbid, Trump supporters, willing to kill others, for their own selfish ends.

You can't really blame the sheep in this new woke, cancel culture!

It's actually public villification they fear. 

Like in communist countries, labeled "enemies of the people"

In other words intimidation, with possible severe consequences, loss of job, career, reputation, business, and peer approval.

Fear is a great marshalling tool for all politicians and would be totalitarians.

Always was!

Climate Change next up!

Edited by trastrick

45 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

And yet, ironically, it’s these “freedom fighters” that could in theory end up contributing to us all losing our freedoms completely again, ie everywhere closing. 

Edited by nikki-red

31 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

And yet, ironically, it’s these “freedom fighters” that could in theory end up contributing to us all losing our freedoms completely again, ie everywhere closing. 

Indeed, that bit of irony seems to fly over their small, narrow minded heads

1 hour ago, whiteowl said:

As for the unmasked being freedom fighters, it reminds me of an old saying:

"One mans freedom fighter is another mans toddler having a tantrum"

No you've got that wrong, as I'm sure you know, it's actually "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".

You are scared of Covid (no idea why if you're vaccinated as you are far more likely or die of heart disease or a stroke or a dozen other things) so you want to wear a mask and force others to also do so even though the evidence for their effectiveness is poor anyway *. But I am not scared of Covid and I value my freedoms. I say "freedoms", we are talking a like they are something out of the ordinary, not something we took for granted for a thousand years.

* Do masks and vaccine passports prevent Covid illness and deaths ? (3 Dec 21)

England : No mask mandate since July, no vaccine passport
Scotland : Mask mandate still in force from last year, vaccine passport since 1st Oct (enforced since 18th Oct)
Wales : Mask mandate still in force from last year, vaccine passport since 11th Oct

Patients in hospital with a positive Covid test per million popn (on 3rd Dec 21))
England : 103.7
Scotland : 118.5
Wales : 141.3

Deaths from any cause within 28 days of a positive Covid test

Last date for which full data is available is 26 Nov for Eng and Scot and 25 Nov for Wales.

Number of deaths 7 day average / per million popn =

England = 95.4 / 1.69 

Scotland = 10.6 / 1.93

Wales = 5.7 / 1.78

Edited by Chekhov