Colin Pitchfork To Be Released From Prison

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Steven Gallant was convicted of killing a firefighter.

Do you believe that because Steven Gallant tackled Usman Khan, that means he is a reformed character?

That question I can't answer because I don't have the gift of foresight.   What can't be disputed is that on that day, both Gallant & Ford tackled an individual who had just killed two people in cold blood & injured several others in the Fishmongers Hall.  They didn't know if the suicide vest he was wearing was a viable bomb.  They could have run away, like the majority of the general public would do but they decided to tackle Khan to stop him harming others.  The fact they are convicted murderers, should not negate or diminish their actions. 

Looking at both the convictions of Gallant & Ford, both crimes were abhorrent, especially Ford's killing of a 21 year old woman with a mental capacity of 15.  Gallant's being a revenge attack on the firefighter, who himself had been acquitted of murder.   It is noticible in the case of Ford that shortly after he murdered, he apparently called the Samaritans to confess.  Now let's consider Pitchfork? 

Pitchfork, rapes & kills a child & basically for a period of time gets away with it.  Do his actions make him remorseful?  Of course not, he goes on to repeat the crime again months later against another child.  He shows his devious tendency in trying to get someone else to provide a DNA sample on his behalf.  The man is a psychopathic, sociopathic, sexual deviant.   Now if the role of prison is retribution, rehabilitation & risk to the public, Gallant, Ford & Pitchfork have all served their time, been up before the Parole Board, been assessed by highly qualified experts, (although as we now know in the case of Usman Khan, experts can be fooled into releasing a prisoner early) & are deemed fit to enter society. 

As I stated at the start, I could not, (or neither can anyone else), state whether Gallant or Ford are reformed individuals but given that we've not heard about them committing any crimes in the past two years & given their altruistic actions in tackling Khan that fateful day, they appear to want to make some atonement & contribution to society again. 

Let's see what Pitchfork's contribution to society is?  As far as I've read & heard, there's still no remorse from him.  He'll be on the Sex Offenders Register as far as I can see, so has to be closely monitored, so to me that suggests he IS still a risk & remembering a Panorama programme from a few years ago, the Probation Service do tend to 'mislay' a lot of offenders placed on the Register. 

The question I would pose is who would you rather have living in your locality?  Gallant, Ford or Pitchfork? 

Just a footnote to the above.  The various agencies now charged with protecting Pitchfork on his release are now considering allowing Pitchfork to change his name, giving him a degree of anonymity.  

11 hours ago, Baron99 said:

That question I can't answer because I don't have the gift of foresight.   Looking at both the convictions of Gallant & Ford, both crimes were abhorrent, especially Ford's killing of a 21 year old woman with a mental capacity of 15.  Gallant's being a revenge attack on the firefighter, who himself had been acquitted of murder.   It is noticible in the case of Ford that shortly after he murdered, he apparently called the Samaritans to confess.  Now let's consider Pitchfork?

If he thinks violence is in some way normal, attacking a terrorist would reenforce his beliefs and make him more likely to do it again. Your reply in post 99 made me think you didnt disapprove of letting him out early.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

If he thinks violence is in some way normal, attacking a terrorist would reenforce his beliefs and make him more likely to do it again. Your reply in post 99 made me think you didnt disapprove of letting him out early.

Of course I disapprove of releasing Pitchfork, as much as I would have disapproved of releasing the likes of Brady & Hindley but the law is the law & a tariff was set. 

Would I trust him? No.  Do I believe that he has rehabilitated?  I don't know but you have to take into consideration his self confession that his behaviour began in his early teens & he's personally admitted to exposing himself to over 1,000 women.  This escalated to sexual assault / violence & then on to murder. 

This from his trial "A psychiatric report prepared for the Court described Pitchfork as possessing a psychopathic personality disorder accompanied with a serious psycho sexual pathology." 

His behaviour is deep rooted.  He will have to be monitored 24/7 in order not to give in to his compulsions.  Let's hope that in the months to come, let's hope we're not seeing a spokesperson from the Home Office / Probation Service / Parole Board saying, we got it wrong on this occasion but lessons have been learned. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Of course I disapprove of releasing Pitchfork, as much as I would have disapproved of releasing the likes of Brady & Hindley but the law is the law & a tariff was set.

I was actually refering to Steven Gallant in post 99. I think sexual and to some extent violant crimes, a persons sexual drive deminishes with age.

8 hours ago, crookesey said:

You should go easy on the ‘thinking’, it can lead to headaches. 

Clearly you speak from experience. 

Get as pissy as you like. You are the one who made the mistake. An adult would accept they are in the wrong and fix their mistake. I'm betting you won't though, 

6 hours ago, El Cid said:

I was actually refering to Steven Gallant in post 99. I think sexual and to some extent violant crimes, a persons sexual drive deminishes with age.

I'd find it difficult to defend anyone who murdered someone else, Jackson's family will  no doubt, never be able to put his killing out of minds but going back to the rehabilitation aspect, like I stated previously, the fact that both Gallant & Ford put their lives on the line that day is commendable.  Gallant also received a Royal Pardon as a result of his actions & as previously stated, we've not heard a word about them since, therefore, they don't appear to have re-offended.  I'm unaware if either Gallant or Ford are monitor by the authorities but I'd say that time would have passed & only been short lived anyway.  The same can't be said for Pitchfork. 

As whether Pitchfork's sexual drive has diminished, that I don't know but then what has happened to his psychotic tendencies?  Do they diminish with age?  Presumably, he'll be on some kind of medication & be trusted to take it.  The fact he'll be on the Sex Offenders Register, suggests he's still a long term risk; suggests the sexual deviant behaviour is still there & his actions need to be monitored, including any use of Internet access, something which wasn't around at the time of the murders. 

Time will tell if Pitchfork can be rehabilitated?   He'll have all the help going. 

Edited by Baron99

Apparently, I wrongly presumed that Pitchfork would be placed on the Sex Offenders Register but I've just read that as he was sentenced before 1997, the legal situation means he won't. 

No retrospective registering then. 

18 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Apparently, I wrongly presumed that Pitchfork would be placed on the Sex Offenders Register but I've just read that as he was sentenced before 1997, the legal situation means he won't. 

No retrospective registering then. 

We’ll hear next that they’ve let Arthur Hutchinson out to keep him company.