Grimesthorpe Part 3

I can remember when the off licence was owned by the Sullivans from the mid 60s and the Endsors owned the chop shop on Botham Street , we used to sit outside on the wall and Mrs Ensor would bring out a paper full of scrapps . Luvly.

Better still when the fishcakes fell apart and Mrs Enzer gave you a free scallop.

Hi brian1941 - Reference your message that you went back to earlier postings, thanks for taking the time, somebody did post a picture showing a very old scene of the corner shop with the proprietors named Holmes standing outside the store and I stand by my comment that the later owners were also named Holmes, I'm assuming they had to be the same family who were still operating the beer-off at the time I left Grimesthorpe around the mid 50's and I'm sure for some time after that, maybe into the early 60's. I seem to think I remember reading that the Swedish family Enzers that owned the chippy on Botham St did at some point take over the corner shop in question (I could be wrong in this regard but I feel I read this from some earlier information). fleetwood

Edited by fleetwood

Hi brian1941 - Reference your message that you went back to earlier postings, thanks for taking the time, somebody did post a picture showing a very old scene of the corner shop with the proprietors named Holmes standing outside the store and I stand by my comment that the later owners were also named Holmes, I'm assuming they had to be the same family who were still operating the beer-off at the time I left Grimesthorpe around the mid 50's and I'm sure for some time after that, maybe into the early 60's. I seem to think I remember reading that the Swedish family Enzers that owned the chippy on Botham St did at some point take over the corner shop in question (I could be wrong in this regard but I feel I read this from some earlier information). fleetwood

------------------

Hi Fleetwood, Thanks for your reply and i have been asking a couple

of Grimesthorpe friends, but sadly we are no wiser.

My friend Peter R might have put that picture up on the tread as he's

good at getting Sheffield pictures on here than i am.

If he read this i'am sure he''ll sort it out somehow.

------------------

Hi Fleetwood, Thanks for your reply and i have been asking a couple

of Grimesthorpe friends, but sadly we are no wiser.

My friend Peter R might have put that picture up on the tread as he's

good at getting Sheffield pictures on here than i am.

If he read this i'am sure he''ll sort it out somehow.

Hi Brian, fleetwood and jad279,

I responded to jad279's post number 1211 of 9 July in my post 1212 of same date when I posted a 'Picture Sheffield' link to the photo of Enzer's fish and chip shop.

It seems, from his post, that jad 279 may be able to give us info of exactly where the beeroff was. I looked around the areas fleetwood mentioned in his post 1208 of 7 July but couldn't find anything on 'Picture Sheffield'. Maybe it came from a different site.

All I could find of an older pic is this one at the bottom end of Botham Street, which I believe is now covered over, just across the junction with Petre Street. I don't think this is the photo you're after though....

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u01147&pos=4&action=zoom&id=36505

Peter

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian, fleetwood and jad279,

I responded to jad279's post number 1211 of 9 July in my post 1212 of same date when I posted a 'Picture Sheffield' link to the photo of Enzer's fish and chip shop.

It seems, from his post, that jad 279 may be able to give us info of exactly where the beeroff was. I looked around the areas fleetwood mentioned in his post 1208 of 7 July but couldn't find anything on 'Picture Sheffield'. Maybe it came from a different site.

All I could find of an older pic is this one at the bottom end of Botham Street, which I believe is now covered over, just across the junction with Petre Street. I don't think this is the photo you're after though....

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u01147&pos=4&action=zoom&id=36505

Peter

-------------

Hi Peter all all, Sorry were not there to help Fleetwood and as

you say it might have been on an other site.

----------

Now your yesterday picture of Botham St Peter, if you look down

on the left at Junction of Petre st you can just see the doorjamb

painted white and that was a corner grocery shop.

That was near the bus stop as in your last picture of today. Brian.

Hope you ok.

---------- Post added 10-07-2016 at 19:04 ----------

We flew out in 1970 Brian, but I can't remember the steward and stewardess, I can only recall a bloke who's surname was Gregory who lived on Crown Hill, a few doors up from Botham St, and also Ray who played the piano and organ for the singers etc.

---------------

Hi Trev, Regarding the club Ray did play the organ his wife Oriel

use too sit on the first table near the committe box near the stage,

they both wore grasses does that help you.

Now i have been asking around who was the steward and stewardess,

can you remember Joan or Jean and husband Roy they were in at the

year 1970, they had a house next door to the club going down hill and

they had 2 boys and 2 girls. Yours Brian.

-------------

Hi Peter all all, Sorry were not there to help Fleetwood and as

you say it might have been on an other site.

----------

Now your yesterday picture of Botham St Peter, if you look down

on the left at Junction of Petre st you can just see the doorjamb

painted white and that was a corner grocery shop.

That was near the bus stop as in your last picture of today. Brian.

Hope you ok.

---------- Post added 10-07-2016 at 19:04 ----------

---------------

Hi Brian,

Thanks for that info. I can now tie the two pics together. I'll take them to Sheffield next time I go and have a look at ''now and then'' :)

Peter.

Hi all, I remember the shop on the corner of Cyclops st, Grimesthorpe rd, as Holmes as Fleetwood says,also Enzers chippy, the shop on corner of Botham st & Peter st was a beer off & greengrocers the owners were called Greaves followed by a family called Hemmingway there was two boys John & Rodney & a girl Patricia I know that for a fact I lived in the same yard until 1960, I also helped out in the shop on odd occasions. Regards Jean J

[quote=brian1941;---------------

Hi Trev, Regarding the club Ray did play the organ his wife Oriel

use too sit on the first table near the committe box near the stage,

they both wore grasses does that help you.

Now i have been asking around who was the steward and stewardess,

can you remember Joan or Jean and husband Roy they were in at the

year 1970, they had a house next door to the club going down hill and

they had 2 boys and 2 girls. Yours Brian.

We used to sit at that table with Ray and Mr & Mrs Gregory, but can't ever remember meeting Rays wife, Ray was also a medium.

I don't remember Joan, Jean, or Roy, but I remember a bloke called Roland who always stood at the end of the bar, he was quite a big bloke and went into wrestling, there was another committee bloke who came from the Shirecliffe, but I don't remember his name now, I went to school with one of his kids.

Hi all, I remember the shop on the corner of Cyclops st, Grimesthorpe rd, as Holmes as Fleetwood says,also Enzers chippy, the shop on corner of Botham st & Peter st was a beer off & greengrocers the owners were called Greaves followed by a family called Hemmingway there was two boys John & Rodney & a girl Patricia I know that for a fact I lived in the same yard until 1960, I also helped out in the shop on odd occasions. Regards Jean J

Hi Jean,

The location of Holmes' shop solved then :)

I recall Rodney Hemmingway being in my class at school for a short time. I was at Owler Lane Infants from 1948 then Grimesthorpe Junior then Earl Marshall Secondary until leaving in 1958. Maybe he came to the area late and then passed his 11 plus, unlike me :) and went to another school ??

Peter.

Yes, Pat Hemmingway was in my class at All Saint's in 1958 and she lived at a shop then. I recall Pat being tall for her age and I think went on to Burngreave school.

More I think about it Fleetwood more I think you could be right about Enzers owning the shop at some point.I'll ask around.

Hi Jean,

The location of Holmes' shop solved then :)

I recall Rodney Hemmingway being in my class at school for a short time. I was at Owler Lane Infants from 1948 then Grimesthorpe Junior then Earl Marshall Secondary until leaving in 1958. Maybe he came to the area late and then passed his 11 plus, unlike me :) and went to another school ??

Peter.

Peter, 'Earl Marshall Secondary' in 1958 ? What happened to 'Owler Lane' ? and I know it was two separate places but 1958, or perhaps -as a Pitsmoor lad -I may have missed something.

Edited by stpetre
Spell