The Conservative Party - Part Two.

6 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Yes I can see your point , about pits , But look at all the money wasted Such as high moor pit joining up with Kiverton  all that money wasted jobs all lost ,  I was told lots off machines left down those pits , please tell me if I have got that wrong ,   .  

That's very true and once the damage is done,  it's hard, and expensive,  to undo it again.

British governments, both Tory and Labour,  ever since Thatcher took power,  have all become increasingly adept at wasting public money and thereby lurks our main problem.

That and our Yo-Yo political system whereby most governments start dismantling the work of the previous government and starting again is inefficient and wasteful.

Our FPTP voting system encourages this by dividing the power mainly between just 2 parties whereas,  a proportional representation system,  would help to prevent this. 

11 minutes ago, L00b said:

Yep.

Not all Tory voters are Gammons.

But all Gammons vote Tory or Reform or some similar hard right party virtue-signalling their neofascist tendencies.

‘been over this countless times with the Leave vote already - same political arithmetic.

😘

Does the term Gammon apply to everyone who votes Tory?

Ive never heard a black/asian person be called a Gammon

The left usually have more exotic terms for them 

Are the black/asian voters also neo-fascists?

Im just trying to clarify

Its like ive never heard a black/asian person be called a Karen either....thats a term used for angry white women 

44 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Yes I can see your point , about pits , But look at all the money wasted Such as high moor pit joining up with Kiverton  all that money wasted jobs all lost ,  I was told lots off machines left down those pits , please tell me if I have got that wrong ,   .  

If there is machinery left down its probably because of the age or not of any value so not worth the time and effort.

31 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Does the term Gammon apply to everyone who votes Tory?

Ive never heard a black/asian person be called a Gammon

The left usually have more exotic terms for them 

Are the black/asian voters also neo-fascists?

Im just trying to clarify

Its like ive never heard a black/asian person be called a Karen either....thats a term used for angry white women 

Do you have issues with reading comprehension?

I feel compelled to ask, given my preceding post: “Not all Tory voters are Gammons”.

’the left’ certainly has its contingent of Gammons, demonstrated by the horseshoe political theory. But then, this is the Conservatives Party thread.

Edited by L00b
  • Like 1

I reckon that anyone who thinks that their vote will make a blind bit of difference to how the country is run is a gammon.

Edited by crookesey

6 minutes ago, L00b said:

Do you have issues with reading comprehension?

I feel compelled to ask, given my preceding post: “Not all Tory voters are Gammons”.

’the left’ certainly has its contingent of Gammons, demonstrated by the horseshoe political theory. But then, this is the Conservatives Party thread.

Let me rephrase my question

Can a Black or Asian person be a 'Gammon'?

Or a 'Neo-Fascist'? 

Edited by Jack Grey

yes.

the word has been used to describe the hyperbolically-animated for hundreds of years.

(probably partaking myself on occasion)

Edited by ads36

2 minutes ago, ads36 said:

yes.

the word has been used to describe the hyperbolically-animated for hundreds of years.

(probably partaking myself on occasion)

Really?

I thought the term 'Gammon' started around the Brexit debate to describe angry red faced white people

34 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

If there is machinery left down its probably because of the age or not of any value so not worth the time and effort.

They used to have a shift what they called scrapping , Stuff coming out off pits . And I presume going to a scrap dealer  it had. to be all sorted on pit top , 

15 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Really?

I thought the term 'Gammon' started around the Brexit debate to describe angry red faced white people

it's true!

Dickens has a good example : Mr Greggory (?) i think, who (in the story) embraced the word to desribe himself!

i'll have a look...

here we go - Nicholas Nickleby - Mr Gregsbury 'The meaning of that term--gammon,' said Mr Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I AM proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.'

(he is responding to someone suggesting that he can be ... too Gammony in his political views)

Edited by ads36
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Slinny said:

Not so simple. The practice of merging pits happens naturally as their 'workings' begin to overlap. It is also very economically desirous as they can work in tandem for safety, ventilation, people and coal movement and avoid duplication. 

In weight most machinery was abandoned. In value most was recovered as parts. 

Like with steel the biggest problem was the political inability to close overlapping or uneconomic units down. Old pits drained money leading to lack of investment in modern methods. Old works like Stocksbridge were kept open while the far more efficient Tinsley Park was closed- there was not enough custom for the special steels both produced. At the time small orders for small customers (Stocksbridge)was the priority but this was soon reversed leaving the UK without the ability to provide new industries with the bulk special steels products they needed. The Government of the day was driven by privatization and de-prioritizing of manufacturing in favour of finance businesses and sold off the assets.

So a combination of 

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

I reckon that anyone who thinks that their vote will make a blind bit of difference to how the country is run is a gammon.

Quite so.

Many people s votes have no worth at all simply because of out first past the post system.

A proportional representation system would help get rid of this anomaly and all our votes would then count.