Your Favourite Musical

The Sound of Music. First saw it when I was 5 and have loved it ever since. Know it word for word. 

'The Commitments' wins hands down for me. 'The Rocky Horror Show' was also marvellous. Two musicals I'd never tire of watching. 

The only "musical" I've ever enjoyed was 'The Singing Detective."  Does that qualify?

Ground-breaking and extraordinary, over thirty years after being broadcast.  And some superb, evocative songs from the golden era of the mid 20th century.

If we're   talking stage shows there's no contest, it's got to be Bat Out Of Hell The Musical!   Seen it seven times starting with the first ever performance at Manchester Opera House.   Absolutely awesome!

I saw 'Kinky Boots' at a theatre in Times Square about 6 years back, then watched it again with an English cast at The Lyceum. Fantastic set of songs and I was please that the Yanks hadn't turned it into an American location (like they did with the High Fidelity film. Boo!).

I'd also agree that the BBC's Singing Detective is one of the best examples of choosing songs to fit a period and a plot. Majestic piece of work and just as watchable today.

Big shout-out here for the recent(ish) stage adaptations of Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds.

On 19/04/2020 at 23:33, jane2008 said:

I watched it two days ago Cressy, love it,  Reminds me of when it came out and I was a lot younger.

Also love Dirty Dancing, GI Blues and Blue Hawaii amongst others

You have Class, 👍 Grease, Dirty Dancing and apart from the Elvis films you mentioned I like the earlier ones aswell, Jailhouse Rock, King Creole and Flaming Star. 

South Pacific

West side Story

Grease

Saturday Night Fever

Carousel 

All of Elvis Presley films when he sings in them.

27 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

South Pacific

West side Story

Grease

Saturday Night Fever

Carousel 

All of Elvis Presley films when he sings in them.

:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

:thumbsup:

A few years ago I read that Elvis Presley was offered the leading role of Tony in

West Side Story, but his manager turned it down. It’s a shame because I think Elvis had the potential to become a series actor with a bit more training.  

It makes you wonder if his manger held him back.  

Having said that the actor who played Tony in the film was very good and had a nice singing voice.  

Agreed on the acting, even though I liked his early black and white films,   yes more acting training was required,   Anne Margret and Richard Egan said back stage,   Elvis was very humble and willing to learn,   yes Tom Parker held him back and slowly fleeced him,    West Side story I think might have been a tall order for him and to be quite honest songs like Maria,  I just couldn't see Elvis pulling those type of songs off, I don't think it was  his type of music to be fair.